Affordable Healthcare

Nov 2006
Since healthcare in this country became so expensive that reform was in order we got the ACA. Since we now know that has not fixed the problem it is inevitable that reform is once again in order. The ACA is not going to work and going back to what we had before did not work so those options are off the table and unacceptable. Since the rest of the civilized world has Universal Healthcare (UHC) and the vast majority in this country are for UHC, the solution is rather obvious. The only question left to be answered is how do we pay for it? The problem we have is two trains of thought on the subject and I’m going to do my best to make this apolitical and call them right and left. The left is arguably open to the idea and the right is against it for the primary reason that it is simply too expensive.

Now, if cost is the deal breaker between these two trains of thought the obvious solution is how do we make the cost of this UHC acceptable to those saying it is too expensive? I propose (among other things) that the single largest way is through the use of a deductible. Everyone (I hope) knows that a policy with a zero deductible is far more expensive than one with a $5000 deductible. This leads to the obvious question of just how high does that deductible need to be in order for the cost to NOT be considered too expensive by the right?

You will find many saying the cost will be anywhere between 1 and 3 trillion so I will use 1.5 trillion as an example. If republicans say 1.5 is too much but if it were 1 trillion they would consider it, then why not say fine, initiate the plan with the condition being a deductible will be set at whatever it takes such that the plan does not cost more than 1 trillion? I don’t care if it is $8000, that is significantly less than what many pay for health insurance now and they may never have a claim over the course of the year. You now have the plan in place and can work on dropping that deductible as savings are realized; the essence of what is covered is constant and the same for everyone.

It would also be simple to float that deductible depending on someone’s status. Just like now where the poor have all or a part of their premium subsidized, the poor could have all or a portion of that deductible subsidized. Everyone in the country is issued a healthcare card at the start of the year and on that card is your deductible. It is based on a formula that uses your income as well as your number of dependents. Someone living in poverty with a child may see their deductible is $152 just as someone making millions may see theirs is $15,654. Economic modeling could easily shoot for that 1 trillion and be very close, if missed it would be made up the following year.

Everyone receives the same healthcare; everyone is covered, there is no question what is covered under your policy because you have the identical policy as everyone else. No massive army of healthcare workers deciphering insurance policies. One swipe of your card at any hospital across the country and they can tell you just exactly what your bill will be.

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
Since healthcare in this country became so expensive that reform was in order we got the ACA. Since we now know that has not fixed the problem it is inevitable that reform is once again in order. The ACA is not going to work and going back to what we had before did not work so those options are off the table and unacceptable. Since the rest of the civilized world has Universal Healthcare (UHC) and the vast majority in this country are for UHC, the solution is rather obvious. The only question left to be answered is how do we pay for it? The problem we have is two trains of thought on the subject and I’m going to do my best to make this apolitical and call them right and left. The left is arguably open to the idea and the right is against it for the primary reason that it is simply too expensive.

Now, if cost is the deal breaker between these two trains of thought the obvious solution is how do we make the cost of this UHC acceptable to those saying it is too expensive? I propose (among other things) that the single largest way is through the use of a deductible. Everyone (I hope) knows that a policy with a zero deductible is far more expensive than one with a $5000 deductible. This leads to the obvious question of just how high does that deductible need to be in order for the cost to NOT be considered too expensive by the right?

You will find many saying the cost will be anywhere between 1 and 3 trillion so I will use 1.5 trillion as an example. If republicans say 1.5 is too much but if it were 1 trillion they would consider it, then why not say fine, initiate the plan with the condition being a deductible will be set at whatever it takes such that the plan does not cost more than 1 trillion? I don’t care if it is $8000, that is significantly less than what many pay for health insurance now and they may never have a claim over the course of the year. You now have the plan in place and can work on dropping that deductible as savings are realized; the essence of what is covered is constant and the same for everyone.

It would also be simple to float that deductible depending on someone’s status. Just like now where the poor have all or a part of their premium subsidized, the poor could have all or a portion of that deductible subsidized. Everyone in the country is issued a healthcare card at the start of the year and on that card is your deductible. It is based on a formula that uses your income as well as your number of dependents. Someone living in poverty with a child may see their deductible is $152 just as someone making millions may see theirs is $15,654. Economic modeling could easily shoot for that 1 trillion and be very close, if missed it would be made up the following year.

Everyone receives the same healthcare; everyone is covered, there is no question what is covered under your policy because you have the identical policy as everyone else. No massive army of healthcare workers deciphering insurance policies. One swipe of your card at any hospital across the country and they can tell you just exactly what your bill will be.

Interesting proposal. And worthy of discussion/debate.

As with many/most things i suspect any implementation/reality is going to be a lot more complex than what is laid out here, but we do need to start somewhere. There are a boatload of layers to the current "health insurance/healthcare" structure our country is currently wrapped up in.

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC

And not a single f-bomb! :woot:

< smile >

Jets

Former Staff
Feb 2011
New York

Excellent starting point for discussion. Someone should consider a run for Congress!

;)

Nov 2006
Interesting proposal. And worthy of discussion/debate.

As with many/most things i suspect any implementation/reality is going to be a lot more complex than what is laid out here, but we do need to start somewhere. There are a boatload of layers to the current "health insurance/healthcare" structure our country is currently wrapped up in.
Yes I am sure. I am also sure that all those layers you speak of is probably why healthcare costs so much. I think simplification is the most important step to making it affordable.

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
I think we can start with single payer and allow for a buy in. Medicaid stays intact, like it has always been. Most of us contribute to our employers for our insurance and it is deducted from our paychecks. We could easily pay those premiums to Medicare instead of Blue Cross for example. As an incentive, our employers should share the cost with employees and it would save them money. Keep the copays or coninsurance percentages with a reasonable deductible. I saw an article where we would pay about 600 a month to buy into Medicare and that is reasonable to me...at least the insurance would be better than the crappy policies the ACA exchanges offered. I am already paying 600.00 a month through employer insurance and it is a crappy policy so I would rather invest those dollars into a insurance program that is much better, such as Medicare.

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
The right does not want UHC at any price, the poor must be punished, end of discussion.
Well, the ACA punished the middle class so what is the difference. I think they underestimated the middle class. The ones who created the ACA just thought the middle class would accept this, keep our heads to the stone and not complain about how badly they are being used and abused, like always. It is the main reason we have Trump now.

Apr 2018
oregon
As long as participation in both access and funding is voluntary, I'm all for a government solution. It just has to be designed well enough that people want to opt in. If a quality product is offered at an affordable price, people will purchase it.