Affordable Healthcare

Nov 2006
It should be remembered that the payment for healthcare is being debated, not the cost of healthcare. There are numerous factors impacting the cost of care specific to our nation. For example, our education system, the better educated a population, the better use of available healthcare resources. Some like to use life expectancy statistics. If accidental deaths and deaths via violence are removed, the USA rises to the top of the list.
that may be true but we will still be way behind other countries in the way of quality of healthcare. Life expectancy is no measure of how good your healthcare is and ours sucks. Maybe not for that 1 percent but certainly for the rest of the country and healthcare is not rated based upon what the richest are capable of getting.

Nov 2006
Blue Cross is administering your companies self funded health care program for a fee. Your company didn't buy an individual policy for you from Blue Cross. That saves the company a lot of money managing costs and there are tax advantages.
no they bought a group policy that I am on and that is still private insurance.

Reactions: 1 person
Nov 2006
We are spending about 20% of GDP on health care now. You are suggesting we have a similar system but it be single payer. The cost for a office visit and xray would be similar. The numbers are known.

Vermont and California just went through the same exercise for single payer and guess what, the number was about 20% of state GDP. That's why both states abandoned plans to move to single payer.
They don't know jack shit what it will cost unless they are using little to no deductible. Make it $5000 and your numbers are out the window. Make it $10,000 and your numbers are out the window again.

Nov 2006
Actually employers with 50 or more employees are required to provide health care not only for their employees but also for their 25 year old grown children.
no shit. They must provide it but they don't have to pay it, most employees must contribute and what about all those working for companies with less than 50 employees?

Nov 2006
Obviously you don't have a clue how it works.
Bullshit. self insured means the company cuts the check and pays the medical bill with no insurance company involved. they are the ones taking the risk. if blue cross is your provider you have private insurance I don't give a shit who pays for it.

Libertine

Apr 2015
Katmandu
Blue Cross administers the program for your company.

Blue Cross passes the medical bills on to your employer to pay.

Reactions: 1 person
Jul 2015
Maryland USA
that may be true but we will still be way behind other countries in the way of quality of healthcare. Life expectancy is no measure of how good your healthcare is and ours sucks. Maybe not for that 1 percent but certainly for the rest of the country and healthcare is not rated based upon what the richest are capable of getting.
I agree with you that life expectancy is not an adequate measure of our healthcare, especially in comparison to other nations. But it is being used by some in the healthcare debate, that was my point actually. Regarding the quality of care available in this country, not other nation has better University based facilities, better equipped facilities with more advanced technology, better research initiatives. I would suggest that we are financing the research and development costs of technology and pharmaceuticals for the rest of the world.

Again I would suggest that our healthcare system is impacted by multiple outside factors. The poorest among us, the Medicaid recipient, has coverage for primary care services. Yet, significant numbers of them use the ER for primary care, they do not use the services available to them. And when they present to a healthcare facility, they arrive with higher acuity levels due to the lack of primary care and their lower economic lifestyles.

I agree that we need a healthcare safety net, that no one should be bankrupted due to healthcare needs. I just do not agree that a government operated single payer system is needed to do so. I continue to believe that a private/public sector partnership will best do so, with out putting the burden totally on taxpayers. My concern is that under a single payer system totally financed by taxes, we will not get Medicare for All, but Medicaid for All.

Apr 2018
oregon
Any program that allows millions to go without healthcare will be a failure, we already know that.
No, "we" don't know that. That's your opinion. There are millions who do not currently need healthcare and may not for decades. If they choose to opt out, good for them. It's not their responsibility to keep your rates low.