After decades of pushing bachelor’s degrees, U.S. needs more tradespeople

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
After decades of pushing bachelor’s degrees, U.S. needs more tradespeople

Now California is spending $6 million on a campaign to revive the reputation of vocational education, and $200 million to improve the delivery of it.

Related: Manufacturers say their worker shortage is getting worse. Here’s why

“It’s a cultural rebuild,” said Randy Emery, a welding instructor at the College of the Sequoias in California’s Central Valley.
What a great idea! Too bad someone didn't think of it sooner.

Riddle: What's the difference between a liberal arts major and a large pizza?

Answer: A large pizza can feed a family of four.

Sep 2019
Fort Lauderdale, FL
It's always been baffling how white collared workers dare to mock those in various trades. You need a mechanic to take your $120,000 sports car to for maintenance, and baristas for your morning coffee run. Devaluing the jobs of others reflects poorly on one's own character. I fully support tradespeople in all lines of work as they are all needed.

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
It's always been baffling how white collared workers dare to mock those in various trades. You need a mechanic to take your $120,000 sports car to for maintenance, and baristas for your morning coffee run. Devaluing the jobs of others reflects poorly on one's own character. I fully support tradespeople in all lines of work as they are all needed.
My wife's cousin dropped out of high school to work due to getting a girl pregnant. He got on as a plumber's apprentice, wound up as a plumbing contractor.

He now has more money than anyone else in the family.

And, ever try to get a competent plumber, electrician, or any other trades person to come and do a job at your house? There are lots of jobs, but not lots of people able to do them.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
I know a carpenter who made his big break using Instagram and now has more work than he can handle. Great platform to show off your work and obtain testimonials of past clients.

Jul 2013
On a happy trail
My wife's cousin dropped out of high school to work due to getting a girl pregnant. He got on as a plumber's apprentice, wound up as a plumbing contractor.

He now has more money than anyone else in the family.

And, ever try to get a competent plumber, electrician, or any other trades person to come and do a job at your house? There are lots of jobs, but not lots of people able to do them.
The richest guy in my family is an electrician who lost his business during the Bush recession but still managed to rebuild another. Ooops I forgot the other cousin who is a general contractor specializing in excavating the subflooring of homes.

Plus finding a good handyman. The one I usually hire is so busy I have to makes appts weeks in advance.

Reactions: Dittohead not!
Jan 2014
California
Who?
So have I, but few listen.
Mr. Not,

Mike Rowe is most known for his show "Dirty Jobs." He launched an initiative called"Mikeroweworks" encouraging the blue collar trades.

John Ratzenberger was Cliff Clavin on "Cheers." After leaving Cheers, he started the "Nuts, Bolts, and Thingamagigies Foundation" to raise awareness of the trades. He later started working for the Center For America to increase awareness of the lack of skilled workers in the US.

CtC

Mar 2019
California
Mr. Not,

Mike Rowe is most known for his show "Dirty Jobs." He launched an initiative called"Mikeroweworks" encouraging the blue collar trades.

John Ratzenberger was Cliff Clavin on "Cheers." After leaving Cheers, he started the "Nuts, Bolts, and Thingamagigies Foundation" to raise awareness of the trades. He later started working for the Center For America to increase awareness of the lack of skilled workers in the US.
And yet LIBS want "Free College". Lib arts College is a big waste of time. It sucks. The Universities should Specialize. Harvard? LAW. Yale? MEDICINE. Cal Tech and MIT? Math and Physics. Georgia Tech? Engineering. No more "Wholeistic" Education. That is what K-12 is supposed to be for. Other Universities should Specialize also. History ,Geology ,Astronomy ,etc. And Apprenticeships should be brought back big time.