Air Force crew made an odd stop on a routine trip: Trump’s Scottish resort

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
The corruption just never ends.

In early Spring of this year, an Air National Guard crew made a routine trip from the U.S. to Kuwait to deliver supplies.

What wasn’t routine was where the crew stopped along the way: President Donald Trump’s Turnberry resort, about 50 miles outside Glasgow, Scotland.

Since April, the House Oversight Committee has been investigating why the crew on the C-17 military transport plane made the unusual stay — both en route to the Middle East and on the way back — at the luxury waterside resort, according to several people familiar with the incident. But they have yet to receive any answers from the Pentagon.

The inquiry is part of a broader, previously unreported probe into U.S. military expenditures at and around the Trump property in Scotland. According to a letterthe panel sent to the Pentagon in June, the military has spent $11 million on fuel at the Prestwick Airport — the closest airport to Trump Turnberry — since October 2017, fuel that would be cheaper if purchased at a U.S. military base. The letter also cites a Guardian report that the airport provided cut-rate rooms and free rounds of golf at Turnberry for U.S. military members.

Taken together, the incidents raise the possibility that the military has helped keep Trump’s Turnberry resort afloat — the property lost $4.5 million in 2017, but revenue went up $3 million in 2018.
Air Force crew made an odd stop on a routine trip: Trump’s Scottish resort

Jul 2014
Sol 3
Taken together, the incidents raise the possibility that the military has helped keep Trump’s Turnberry resort afloat — the property lost $4.5 million in 2017, but revenue went up $3 million in 2018.
Trump brags about how smart he is when he doesn't pay taxes.

In his mind, that's a good thing.

It isn't much of a leap from there to actively using his position to enrich himself.

I mean, he'd be an idiot not to, right?

And he sure isn't going to let himself look like an idiot, right?

Sep 2019
dfw, texas
what makes this story even more amazing, is that, all things considered, it is not even a blip on the radar when it comes to corruption and graft and fraud that goes on from this white house since Day One, after promising his gullible base he was going to clean up the swamp!! and they believed him!! and still do....that is what blows my mind.

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
what makes this story even more amazing, is that, all things considered, it is not even a blip on the radar when it comes to corruption and graft and fraud that goes on from this white house since Day One, after promising his gullible base he was going to clean up the swamp!! and they believed him!! and still do....that is what blows my mind.
Any thread exposing Trump's venality and corruption gets flooded out by Trump Water Carriers, they line up to toady and stooge...

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
315 bowery/DMS

Sounds like the resort gave discount rates to troops. Ok......

And i like how all the liberal shithead cult articles on this are trying to dupe you into thinking trump owns the gas station filling up the plane.

It will be interesting to see if the course made money on the cut rates, then trump may have an issue, if he breaks even or loses money, this story will simply vanish....

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
315 bowery/DMS

It isn't much of a leap from there to actively using his position to enrich himself.

It is. Its called fiduciary responsibility

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
Sounds like the resort gave discount rates to troops. Ok......

And i like how all the liberal shithead cult articles on this are trying to dupe you into thinking trump owns the gas station filling up the plane.

It will be interesting to see if the course made money on the cut rates, then trump may have an issue, if he breaks even or loses money, this story will simply vanish....
I don't think you actually read the article.

One crew member was so struck by the choice of hotel — markedly different than the Marriotts and Hiltons the 176th maintenance squadron is used to — that he texted someone close to him and told him about the stay, sending a photo and noting that the crew’s per diem allowance wasn’t enough to cover food and drinks at the ritzy resort.
A senior Air Force official who was previously stationed at Elmendorf Air Force Base in Alaska — where the C-17 crew was based — said choosing to refuel in Glasgow and stay at a posh property a half hour away would be unusual for such a mission. Typically, the official said, air crews stay on a military base while in transit or at nearby lodgings “unless all the hotels are booked or there is a Scottish sheep festival going on.”

The official, who was not aware of the specific allegations, also said that the mid-level officers or senior enlisted airmen commonly responsible for identifying lodging for the personnel are notoriously frugal and try to stay where their government allowance covers the costs.

Reactions: MaryAnne
Nov 2015
UK

In the business world, idiots pay tax, a fool and his money are soon parted.

I pay very little National Insurance, about £200 per year and no income tax. I went Limited company and wiped out my tax burden. I could be daft enough and be sole trader status but if I follow the rules because of my accountancy knowledge, I've wiped out most of my employment taxes for the last 15 years.

So who's the idiot!!!!!!

Apple and Amazon are only large companies because they've paid very little tax. I bet you use them !!! Orange man bad, lol.

Reactions: excalibur