Air Force member called 'distasteful' for speaking Spanish in uniform

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
Air Force member called 'distasteful' for speaking Spanish in uniform
"This is my dream and [to] tell me that I’m distasteful while wearing my dream, that really triggered me,” said a U.S. Air Force member from Puerto Rico.
By Shamar Walters

"She wrote that she responded to the woman by saying, "I'm sorry ma'am the only distasteful thing here is that you are clueless to your discrimination, please educate your self. Have a nice day "
"Contrary to popular belief, the United States has no official language. In fact, more than 20 percent of U.S. households reportedly speak a language other than English at home, according to 2017 data released by the Census Bureau. That same data shows that more than 40 percent of the population speaks a language other than English in major cities like Los Angeles, New York, Houston and Miami."
"Speaking a language other than English while at work is a right that is protected by U.S. law, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, specifically. It would be a violation of federal anti-discrimination law for an employee to be required to speak English except for in a situation where it was necessary for someone to do their job, according to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission."

########################################################################################
That one can speak another language instead of English while at work is something that naive people better get used to knowing and realizing. It's the law! KUDOS to Airman Mercado on the way she responded to that woman. But they still don't get it do they? Sad.