Alabama lawmakers move to eliminate marriage licenses, throw up hands in culture wars

Nov 2008
Washington state
Alabama lawmakers may be waving the white flag in the culture wars – advancing a bill that would eliminate marriage licenses entirely, in turn helping judges avoid the gay marriage debate in the conservative state.
“No one particularly likes changing our law, I’ll tell you that,” the bill’s sponsor, Republican state Sen. Greg Albritton, said in an interview with Fox News. “However, under the circumstances, it’s the best thing we can do.”
Albritton denies any attempt at “denigrating marriage,” as some social conservative critics charge. The Republican said his bill is a practical solution for the state in response to the Supreme Court striking down gay marriage bans in the 2014 Obergefell v. Hodges decision.
“We would not have changed this had it not been for Obergefell,” Albritton said. “But without the change, the law remains in conflict with Obergefell. So we got to make some changes to the law to come into compliance.”

Alabama’s state law has long defined marriage as between a man and a woman and has given probate judges discretion in issuing marriage licenses.
"Some see this as a way to protect local probate judges from being forced to issue gay marriage licenses, which is both morally and politically problematic for a lot of them,” Todd Stacy, the publisher of the Alabama Daily News, said of the Alabama bill.

The bill doesn’t stop the state from recognizing marriages, whether it be straight or gay couples. Marriages would still be recorded by the state when couples file an affidavit with a judge.

Alabama lawmakers move to eliminate marriage licenses, throw up hands in culture wars | Fox News[FONT=.SFUIText]This is a good thing for a state to do since the states have little control over making their own marriage laws now. Get out of the marriage business like they should have years ago. This would stop the problem of a judge having issues of marrying people he disagree’s with. Great solution to a complicated issue. Do you think Government should get out of the marriage business?[/FONT]

Jun 2006
Vancouver
I can’t really envision how it would look. So you register your marriage, but you’re not issued a license for it?

I’m not gonna just knee jerk poo poo it, but when I went to Japan with my wife my spousal work visa required a marriage certificate.

Amelia

Former Staff
Jun 2014
Wisconsin
Alabama lawmakers move to eliminate marriage licenses

That's what is known as "cutting your nose off to spite your face."

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
Oh and get this

The Alabama state House voted Tuesday to end special elections for appointments to U.S. Senate seats.

The bill passed 67-31 on a largely party-line vote, according to the Montgomery Advertiser, despite a filibuster attempt from state House Democrats.

Under current law, if a vacancy occurs in one of Alabama's Senate seats, the governor appoints a temporary replacement and is required to hold a special election to fill the seat for the remainder of the term.

State Rep. Steve Clouse's (R) bill would change the law to require a special election to coincide with the next election cycle, allowing a governor's appointee to serve until the next general election instead of forcing the governor to call an earlier election

Alabama state House votes to end special elections | TheHill

Of course this is in response to Doug Jones getting elected.

I think snowflakes is the perfect term for Alabama.

Jul 2014
Border Fence
I would imagine that most people would rather not have the State of Alabama associate to their marriage. It is a win-win for everybody.

Marriage is still legal. Marriage is still recorded. and the State of Alabama takes no part.

Jun 2014
United States
I would imagine that most people would rather not have the State of Alabama associate to their marriage. It is a win-win for everybody.

Marriage is still legal. Marriage is still recorded. and the State of Alabama takes no part.

I personally know a few couples who had to go out of state to marry back before Roy Moore was kicked off the bench again, because probate judges were refusing to issue marriage licenses. I wonder how much revenue has been lost by the state by refusing to issue licenses, not to mention the losses to wedding planners, etc.

These redneck Republicans will indeed cut off their noses to spite their faces. Hatred appears to be the only motivation for their behavior.

Jul 2014
Border Fence
I personally know a few couples who had to go out of state to marry back before Roy Moore was kicked off the bench again, because probate judges were refusing to issue marriage licenses. I wonder how much revenue has been lost by the state by refusing to issue licenses, not to mention the losses to wedding planners, etc.

These redneck Republicans will indeed cut off their noses to spite their faces. Hatred appears to be the only motivation for their behavior.
I think the OP stated that the procedure would be a married couple would file their marriage with a judge

The OP did not state what that procedure would be, but I assume a couple would have to file paper work and fee. The application may need to be verified and witnessed by a notary and filed with the judge.

I don't think the fee process will end.

Jun 2014
United States
I think the OP stated that the procedure would be a married couple would file their marriage with a judge

The OP did not state what that procedure would be, but I assume a couple would have to file paper work and fee. The application may need to be verified and witnessed by a notary and filed with the judge.

I don't think the fee process will end.
No, it won't. If this bill becomes law, it won't end marriage licenses. It will simply call the marriage licenses "marriage documents" instead.

Stupid is as stupid does...

Still, the state has incurred significant losses due to probate judges refusing to issue licenses altogether simply to avoid issuing a license to a same-sex couple.

May 2012
By the wall

We should let people marry rocks and animals because it brings in more money!