Alabama state Senate passes near total abortion ban in direct challenge to Roe v. Wade

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
Alabama state Senate passes near total abortion ban in direct challenge to Roe v. Wade
The bill's sponsor in the Alabama House says it's specifically designed to get the Supreme Court to "revisit their decision on Roe v. Wade."
By Doha Madani, Elisha Fieldstadt and Annie Rose Ramos

"MONTGOMERY, Ala. — The Alabama state Senate on Tuesday approved a bill essentially banning abortion in the state, a move specifically aimed at challenging more than 40 years of federal abortion protection under Roe v. Wade. The bill would make it a felony for a doctor to perform or attempt an abortion during any stage of pregnancy."
"Singleton put up an amendment to make exceptions in the case of rape and incest again on Tuesday night. Four Republicans joined the seven Democrats present to vote for the exceptions, but the measure failed in a roll call vote. Singleton then accused proponents of the legislation of having "raped the state of Alabama with this bill."
"With the new conservative majority on the Supreme Court, lawmakers across the country are pushing for tougher abortion laws to challenge the high court's 1973 Roe v. Wade ruling."

########################################################################################
How do you and in particular women feel about this move in Alabama? Do you think that women's right to choose should be done away with altogether as Republicans are so adamant in doing? As many of you know I am not pro-abortion however, you must remember that Republicans now have the power to do away with long-standing law such as Roe v. Wade due to your voting for them and not supporting the Democratic candidate in the 2016 election. Remember, there are dire consequences in voting or not. So in the end, you have no one else to blame but yourself about the happening in Alabama and before long at the SCOTUS. As it stands it's not a matter of "if" it will happen but when it will happen.

Nov 2018
Maryland
I think it does send a message that killing a baby is reprehensible. I do think deciding on abortion should be a state's right, but SCOTUS will rule against them.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
I think it does send a message that killing a baby is reprehensible. I do think deciding on abortion should be a state's right, but SCOTUS will rule against them.
I agree that it should be a state right and I don't disagree with a state doing their thing.

I do however think there should be medical allowances for abortion as it's not all as classy as ripskater put it.

Reactions: spyydrr
Aug 2018
Vancouver
Funny - imagine thinking a supreme Court judge who spent his youth having drunk quasi-consensual sex with anyone who couldn't unrun him would be AGAINST a man's right to pay for his vict... I mean... partner's abortions.

May 2007
Houston, Texas
Not being able to murder your unborn baby might cause some people to think twice before they drop their pants.
Bullshit! They can drop their pants in Alabama and after they get pregnant, they can drop their pants in Mississippi at the abortion clinic. Hell, they can even come to Houston. lol

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
Bullshit! They can drop their pants in Alabama and after they get pregnant, they can drop their pants in Mississippi at the abortion clinic. Hell, they can even come to Houston. lol
I don't suspect that will be the case for very long if this becomes a trend.

May 2007
Houston, Texas
I don't suspect that will be the case for very long if this becomes a trend.
There will always be blue states where abortion is legal. Houston Texas isn't very far from the Deep South. I imagine Texas doctors will make a killing (no pun intended).