Alabama's abortion ban: The US should follow Carthage.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
Might as well double down and throw in some gaslighting.You love calling women hysterical and then trying to belittle them for calling you out for it.

This whole thread is about men thinking they are more important than women. They think they should get to control what women do with their bodies because of their personal moral and religious beliefs.

You are confusing "hysteria" with the old timey diagnosis of "female hysteria" which was DROPPED as a diagnosis in 1952. The condition which is now called "somatic symptom disorder" applies to both sexes and is in the DSM-V and has nothing to do in context of our modern vernacular.

The "Gasligting" madam, is you feiging offense over the word to describe your and babba's emotional posting style.

hys·te·ri·a
/həˈstirēə,həˈsterēə/
noun

1. exaggerated or uncontrollable emotion or excitement, especially among a group of people.
    "the mass hysteria that characterizes the week before Christmas"
    synonyms:frenzy, wildness, feverishness, irrationality; More

This is the context that I am using it and this is confirmed by the fact I use it more (by happenstance not any conscious choice) towards men on this forum than women.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
No, that's why I highlighted "begins."

I could go on quoting from your own source material, where the dude closes with the moral dilemmas of viability, or discusses what (and who) defines "life." I.e. Catholics believe it begins at fertilization. I still don't see any slam dunk for your argument anywhere in his column.

But in a nutshell, there isn't a viable life until the "quickening" which can happen at 16 weeks but more commonly occurs at 21 weeks. That's when the fetus can move independently and respond to stimuli.
I think most states' cut-off is 12 weeks (could be wrong), unless there are complications and the mother's health is in danger.

So do you support 12 weeks, or at what week do you support it to?

I actually scientifically life begins at conception, when the two keys meet. But I am ok with it being at 8 weeks

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
What part of "I think 8 weeks should be the cutoff because that's when brain wave activity starts in earnest" don't you understand?

Can you read all my posts and reply again? I'd like for you to understand my position.
The part I don't understand is why you are calling it "brain activity" when it isn't yet a brain. If you cared about science you'd make that distinction and refer to it as "nerve activity". And what makes nerve activity in what will eventually become the brain so special?

Lastly, I'd like to understand why it's so important to you that nerve activity be the cutoff for it being considered a baby.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
You are confusing "hysteria" with the old timey diagnosis of "female hysteria" which was DROPPED as a diagnosis in 1952. The condition which is now called "somatic symptom disorder" applies to both sexes and is in the DSM-V and has nothing to do in context of our modern vernacular.

The "Gasligting" madam, is you feiging offense over the word to describe your and babba's emotional posting style.

hys·te·ri·a
/həˈstirēə,həˈsterēə/
noun

1. exaggerated or uncontrollable emotion or excitement, especially among a group of people.
    "the mass hysteria that characterizes the week before Christmas"
    synonyms:frenzy, wildness, feverishness, irrationality; More

This is the context that I am using it and this is confirmed by the fact I use it more (by happenstance not any conscious choice) towards men on this forum than women.
It's sexist. You intend it to be sexist and demeaning. We're not stupid.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
It's sexist. You intend it to be sexist and demeaning. We're not stupid.

I disagree on ALL your points. All of them...

You have been blatantly sexist, then you cry about me using "hysterical".....

Please show me one post, just one post from say 2017 and earlier where you took issue with the word.

report me if it's sexist or be quiet about it.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
The part I don't understand is why you are calling it "brain activity" when it isn't yet a brain. If you cared about science you'd make that distinction and refer to it as "nerve activity". And what makes nerve activity in what will eventually become the brain so special?

Lastly, I'd like to understand why it's so important to you that nerve activity be the cutoff for it being considered a baby.

So let me ask you then, at what week are you suggesting it's "a brain" with activity enough for you to call it a "life"

May 2019
A Van Down by the River...
So do you support 12 weeks, or at what week do you support it to?

I actually scientifically life begins at conception, when the two keys meet. But I am ok with it being at 8 weeks
You're barking up the wrong tree. I don't want any woman to have to make this choice, but I can't pay the moral or temporal bills of people I've never met with stories I'll never know.
As such, I think this matter is best left to the women and their doctors and whatever God they pray to.
This makes the issue fairly simple for me.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
You're barking up the wrong tree. I don't want any woman to have to make this choice, but I can't pay the moral or temporal bills of people I've never met with stories I'll never know.
As such, I think this matter is best left to the women and their doctors and whatever God they pray to.
This makes the issue fairly simple for me.

like I said before, I am not for outlawing abortion, I think the only way we can reduce it is by changing the culture. my cutoff for the scientific reasons I mentioned is at 8 weeks.