Alabama's new gov "anyone who doesn’t share his Christian beliefs cannot be

Dec 2010
Southington Connecticut
Alabama's new governor apologizes for Christian comments, rabbi accepts
Alabama's new governor apologizes for Christian comments, rabbi accepts – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

anyone who doesn’t share his Christian beliefs cannot be counted as a “brother or sister.”

the just-sworn-in governor suggested that anyone who doesn’t share his Christian beliefs cannot be counted as a “brother or sister.”
Rabbi Jonathan Miller of Temple Emanu-El in Birmingham, Al responded
The rabbi wrote of feeling “disenfranchised” by Bentley’s words and reminded the new governor that Alabama’s Jews are “faithful people” who also happen to pay taxes, vote, send their kids to the state’s schools, follow the laws and “work, each of us in our own way, for the betterment of all.”
The good Rabbi further said
Our great nation, by law and tradition, provides us with religious freedom. And even though we do not believe exactly alike,” Miller wrote, “we ought to see each other with brotherly affection, and as equals in conscience and human worth.”

The good governor did apoogize but how can a gonernor of a good sized state even thing about going off and saying something that prejudicial in the first place,

Last edited:
Dec 2010
Southington Connecticut
The governor certainly did not follow the example of Christ, who called all men his brothers.
OMG that ' s a great point so what you are saying is that our good governor is actually being un-Christian all the while he was wearing the Christianer Than Thou
facade on his sleaves. yA GOTTA JUST LOVE A HYPOCRIT !!!

Aug 2010
See you in a new existence!
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/20/us/20brfs-GOVERNORAPOL_BRF.html
Gov. Robert Bentley apologized Wednesday for his inauguration day remarks about only Christians being his brothers and sisters and said he would work for people of all faiths. Mr. Bentley said he was speaking as an evangelical Christian to fellow Baptists when he made the comments from a church pulpit during a Martin Luther King Day event. “If anyone from other religions felt disenfranchised by the language, I want to say I am sorry,” he said.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110120/ap_on_re_us/us_alabama_governor_christians
"If anyone from other religions felt disenfranchised by the language, I want to say I am sorry. I am sorry if I offended anyone in any way," he told reporters Wednesday after meeting with leaders of other faiths in his new office.....One of the Jewish leaders who met with Bentley Wednesday, Rabbi Jonathan Miller of Temple Emanu-El in Birmingham, called the new governor's remarks "a difficult misstep" at the beginning of his administration. But he said he was pleased with the governor's apology and said "I hope and pray we can come together in the next four years."

Last edited:
Nov 2010
YOu think anybody is going to buy his apologies? He didn't think he'd get that reaction after such a stupid comment? He said what he meant, now political reasons he's trying to back track.

Babylon

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Jersey
YOu think anybody is going to buy his apologies? He didn't think he'd get that reaction after such a stupid comment? He said what he meant, now political reasons he's trying to back track.
Exactly, that is why our hired public speakers should stick to their cue cards and teleprompters instead of voicing their true beliefs and ideas. If they kept doing that, nobody would Know who they were Supposed to vote for..!

freecell

Former Staff
Jul 2006
Cary
I call all Christians my brothers and sisters. That doesn't mean I hate another group.

Nov 2005
Richmond Va
I call all Christians my brothers and sisters. That doesn't mean I hate another group.
I don't think the gov was talking about who you like or dislike freeb, but I can understand your defensiveness, as you and him are two peas in a pod.
He said that people that don't adhere to christianity ARE NOT HIS BROTHERS AND SISTERS.

Cripes, read before you speak... it might give add to your credibility, but I doubt it.