Alexa has literally lost her voice as users report outages and unresponsiveness

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
About an hour ago, the podcast that I was listening to here via Alexa suddenly stopped. Asking Alexa to continue did not work. I asked Alexa to turn on my fan, she did not. I asked Alexa the time, she didn't know. Is this what happens when our virtual assistants disappear? Is she on strike for more money?

Alexa has literally lost her voice as users report outages and unresponsiveness

Amazon’s Alexa smart assistant seems to be down this morning. We’ve been hearing reports over the last hour of either delayed responses or just total loss of connection.

While Amazon doesn’t have a status page for its consumer products, Down Detector is reporting a huge spike in Alexa-related complaints over the last hour.

For example, Alexa is giving me replies like “I’m not sure what went wrong”, “sorry, something went wrong”, or a loud chime followed by “sorry, your echo dot lost its connection” and the red ring of sadness. The problem appears to be related to Alexa’s voice recognition servers, as it’s occurring across both native devices like an Echo and 3rd party devices running Alexa like the Sonos One.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/03/02/alexa-has-literally-lost-her-voice-as-users-report-outages-and-unresponsiveness/

Reactions: 1 person

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
Could the Russians be behind it? A hack?

AMAZON ALEXA DOWN: ECHO VOICE ASSISTANT NOT WORKING ACROSS THE US

Wondering why your Alexa is working for you? Amazon Alexa and Echo are down across the US. Find out what's happening, here.

"Help! Why is my Alexa not working?" Users of Amazon's popular voice assistant may have noticed this morning that Alexa isn't working for them. If you're one of those folks, don't worry. It's happening to everyone. According to Down Detector, users began reporting problems with Amazon's Alexa and Echo speakers around 9:30 am ET. Taking a look at the accompanying heat map, users are having issues across the United States.

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
My friend is engaged to a man from Eastern Europe with a thick accent. Alexa will not respond to any of his requests or demands. She just ignores him while my friend can request anything without a problem. I asked Alexa if she likes him and she responded with "I don't have an opinion" It is hilarious.

Reactions: 2 people

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
My friend is engaged to a man from Eastern Europe with a thick accent. Alexa will not respond to any of his requests or demands. She just ignores him while my friend can request anything without a problem. I asked Alexa if she likes him and she responded with "I don't have an opinion" It is hilarious.
She's been down for about an hour and the online community is losing their ever loving minds.

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
lolololol!

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
Alexa is back. She kept saying she couldn't connect. I tried asking her how she was a few minutes ago. She said she was fine, and that people need someone to talk to, and sometimes talk to their cats. Now, there's an astute observation.

I asked her to add something to the shopping list, and she did. Apparently, she's feeling better. We were afraid maybe she'd had a stroke, or had spent too much time talking to cats.