All of a sudden, Trump's in the military

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal

Looks like President Ford is the first I'm not immediately finding a salute pic going back in time.

In any case, presidents saluting is not uncommon and perfectly fine.

Jul 2011
NYC
Where were you when the forum conservatives were apoplectic over Trump's noninvite to McCains service and then proceeded to trash McCain?

This isn't a thread honoring Bush, this is a thread mocking him. Like when Trump mocked both McCain and Bush.

They weren't. That never happened. They tended to side with trump over the whole thing but not in the way you are describing.

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
INTERESTING THINGS: Presidents Saluting...Much Ado About Nothing

When President Reagan rendered his salute, his military aide advised him that it went against military protocol for presidents to return salutes. Reagan took up the issue with Gen. Robert Barrow, Commandant of the Marine Corps. Gen. Barrow told Reagan that as Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces, he was entitled to offer a salute, or any sign of respect he wished , to anyone he wished.
President Trump, and those that preceded him are the head of the military whether they are veterans or not, and in spite of them being civilians. I agree with General Barrow that the head of the military should be fine to return salutes. Also, rendering a salute is a sign of respect, so why are we fussing about President Trump rendering a salute to President Bush? There is plenty that Trump does that I do not like, but this was presidential, in my book.