All Things UFC / Combat Sports

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
This is the thread for all UFC or any related combat sports discussion. I believe I started one of these way back when, but figured it'd be better to start a new thread.

Not sure how to start this because of the big ol' controversy at 229 that were discussing in another good thread, so I'll ask, who is your favorite fighter and why?

My favorite fighter is Brad Pickett - even though he is now retired.

Brad showed heart in every fight and win or lose, the guy always had a positive attitude about everything - from his opponent to his loses.

I find myself liking respectful fighters more than trash-talking, show boaters - sans Diaz brothers. I love the Diaz brothers. They get my love and can talk all the shit they want - and I don't even know why. They good like that I guess.

You?

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Years ago, I was a big fan of the Emelianenko brothers; but then Fedor came back out of retirement for no good reason; and Alexander just fucked up his life completely, beat up a dude on a plane from Siberia; raped some girl in his apartment in Moscow; went to prison.

He's staged own come back after all this, last year: Alexander Emelianenko wins first fight since 2014 following Russian prison stint

But I have no respect for the guy anymore. Even you want to get into fisticuffs with other guys on a plane, I get that, especially in Russia, lots of drunk, obnoxious assholes on planes over there just asking to be punched in the face, God knows lol

But, forcing yourself violently on a woman... That's beyond all limits, for me.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Years ago, I was a big fan of the Emelianenko brothers; but then Fedor came back out of retirement for no good reason; and Alexander just fucked up his life completely, beat up a dude on a plane from Siberia; raped some girl in his apartment in Moscow; went to prison.

He's staged own come back after all this, last year: Alexander Emelianenko wins first fight since 2014 following Russian prison stint

But I have no respect for the guy anymore. Even you want to get into fisticuffs with other guys on a plane, I get that, especially in Russia, lots of drunk, obnoxious assholes on planes over there just asking to be punched in the face, God knows lol

But, forcing yourself violently on a woman... That's beyond all limits, for me.
I couldn't agree more. I loved Fedor in Pride.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Russia's Yana Kunitskaya also just scored her first UFC victory, against Lina Lansberg of Sweden, at same event as the Khabib-Conor fight

Can't wait to see more from her.

Russia has had some strong female fighters before.

The boxer and kickboxer Natalia Ragozina, now retired

perhaps the most decorated female or, really, any professional fighter over there

Titles[edit]
Boxing

• 2009 WBF heavyweight world champion
  • 2009 W.I.B.F. heavyweight world champion
  • 2008 I.W.B.F. super middleweight world champion
  • 2007-09 W.B.C. super middleweight world champion (4 title defences)
  • 2007-08 W.I.B.A. super middleweight world champion (2 title defences)
  • 2007-09 W.B.A. super middleweight world champion (6 title defences)
  • 2006-09 G.B.U. super middleweight world champion (7 title defences)
  • 2005-09 W.I.B.F. super middleweight world champion (10 title defences)
  • 2004-05 W.I.B.F. super middleweight Inter-Continental champion (1 title defence)
Kickboxing

Natascha Ragosina - Wikipedia

On top of everything else, it's been rumored that she dated Putin himself too lol

I recall wishing to see her fight Rhonda Rousey, a kind of female version of Rocky vs. Drago :D

Probably she would have done great if went into MMA, with her background in both boxing and kickboxing. I hope Kunitskaya can become like that too...

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
My all time favorite UFC fighter is Tank Abbott. Nobody won like him... and nobody lost like him.

Oleg Taktarov was able to submit him back then

Original Russian UFC Champ

with the new one

:D

Another fun fact about Taktarov, btw, in 2007, in a celebrity boxing tournament, he fought Dolph Lundgren, aka Ivan Drago (and won :D)

He's also a movie star in Russia and has even done stuff in Hollywood, like one of the "Predator" flicks

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Oleg Taktarov was able to submit him back then

Original Russian UFC Champ

with the new one

:D

Another fun fact about Taktarov, btw, in 2007, in a celebrity boxing tournament, he fought Dolph Lundgren, aka Ivan Drago (and won :D)

He's also a movie star in Russia and has even done stuff in Hollywood, like one of the "Predator" flicks
A lot of people submitted Tank. :D

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Tank Olympics! Car crush competition..
They have "Tank Biathlon" that Russia hosts with various allies every year, and Russia always wins it

Everyone there, pretty much, uses own modifications of T-72s, except the Chinese, who always bring their own Type-whatever; here, Chinese and Iranian (green) tanks accidentally rub up during a race in 2016