All Things UFC / Combat Sports

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва

I’d love to see more of this in MMA.

You wont. the rules, and how the refs work make this less and less likely. MMA has been homoginized and has become like an olive garden of sports. most MMA fighters don't train judo, or even strong jiu jits for the most part anymore.

That said that ude garami to kimura was sweet.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
You wont. the rules, and how the refs work make this less and less likely. MMA has been homoginized and has become like an olive garden of sports. most MMA fighters don't train judo, or even strong jiu jits for the most part anymore.

That said that ude garami to kimura was sweet.
Ronda Rousey started in Judo, originally, I believe. And pretty much every fighter from Russia and ex-USSR in UFC, Bellator, etc, would have a background in Judo and Sambo, guaranteed lol

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto

Alvarez is a former UFC and Bellator champion, FYI

And Nastyukhin fucking KOd him, just like that :)

Badass dude, a personal inspiration for me. He is from Magnitogorsk, I believe, an industrial city in southern Siberia, on the border with Kazakhstan. Like me, a half-blood: white Slav Russian father, Kazakh mother. He came up fighting in the local leagues. And the local MMA scene over there is very much dominated by Slav nationalist and white supremacist types. He shrugged it all off. In a recent interview, he said every insult thrown at him by opponents back there, just made him gladder to go into the ring with the guy who threw it and beat that guy till he couldn't walk, let alone talk anymore ;)

In this Asia-based "One Championship" he once fought a Japanese guy, and broke his leg kicking him, and actually kept on going, apparently not noticing any pain from it, until he felt he could not stand on that leg, it was just buckling and folding. Pain came later, when the adrenaline wore off lol

Super tough SOB, my respect to him

Mar 2019
Oklahoma

Alvarez is a former UFC and Bellator champion, FYI

And Nastyukhin fucking KOd him, just like that :)

Badass dude, a personal inspiration for me. He is from Magnitogorsk, I believe, an industrial city in southern Siberia, on the border with Kazakhstan. Like me, a half-blood: white Slav Russian father, Kazakh mother. He came up fighting in the local leagues. And the local MMA scene over there is very much dominated by Slav nationalist and white supremacist types. He shrugged it all off. In a recent interview, he said every insult thrown at him by opponents back there, just made him gladder to go into the ring with the guy who threw it and beat that guy till he couldn't walk, let alone talk anymore ;)

In this Asia-based "One Championship" he once fought a Japanese guy, and broke his leg kicking him, and actually kept on going, apparently not noticing any pain from it, until he felt he could not stand on that leg, it was just buckling and folding. Pain came later, when the adrenaline wore off lol

Super tough SOB, my respect to him
Did you see what he did to Eddie's eye?

Holy crap.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
The trash talk would be awesome . . .
I disagree with what he says about wrestling and Sambo and such.

Caucasus is very much a wrestling superpower in own right, more than on par with America.

In fact, in recent years, in Rio-2016, for example, most of Russia's Gold medals in wrestling came from Khabib's fellow Dagestanis, like Abdulrashid Sadulaev

:)

Wrestling is their national sport, in Dagestan: Fighters flock to Russia's Dagestan where wrestling is a way of life

And those guys have beat plenty of "All-Americans" too hehe

But, I get it, Covington just says that for shock value or whatever, all part of the entertainment lol