Allegations of GOP Election Fraud In North Carolina By Republicans

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
This whole thing now makes me squirrely about absentee and early voting. CNN had an interview this morning with a guy from Oregon who claimed he used to go around and collect ballots out there. Told people he was sent to get their ballots. It was shocking how many willingly gave them to him. This whole thing really shines a light on it all. We have had some serious close elections over the past few years and now I wonder how rampant this could have been and gone completely under the radar.

Feb 2010
valid location
This whole thing now makes me squirrely about absentee and early voting. CNN had an interview this morning with a guy from Oregon who claimed he used to go around and collect ballots out there. Told people he was sent to get their ballots. It was shocking how many willingly gave them to him. This whole thing really shines a light on it all. We have had some serious close elections over the past few years and now I wonder how rampant this could have been and gone completely under the radar.
This has nothing to do with early voting.

Feb 2010
valid location
It does if the early voting is done by mail and not in person. I have heard allegations of this for years but never heard concrete proof.
Anyone who votes by mail can vote "early." Most do. But "early voting" is something different, involving polling places that are open before Election Day. Different names, different issues.

We've had vote-by-mail for over a decade, almost entirely without incident. Oregon does it that way exclusively, and I believe Colorado has gone to such a system. Seems like we do need better voter education, specifically "only give your ballot to someone you trust" and "no one is authorized to ask for your ballot." We should continue to make voting easy and convenient for all eligible voters.