Amazon blames Trump for losing $10 billion JEDI cloud contract to Microsoft

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
Amazon blames Trump for losing $10 billion JEDI cloud contract to Microsoft
Amazon is now calling for the Defense Department to terminate the award and conduct another review of the submitted proposals.
By Annie Palmer, CNBC

"Amazon says President Donald Trump launched “behind-the-scenes attacks” against the company, which led to it losing out on a major contract for cloud services."
"In a heavily redacted, 103-page document made public on Monday, Amazon Web Services lays out why it’s protesting the Department of Defense’s decision to award Microsoft the JEDI (Joint Enterprise Defense Infrastructure) contract. AWS claims it didn’t win the JEDI contract, which could be worth as much as $10 billion, as a result of Trump’s repeated public and private attacks against Amazon and, specifically, its CEO Jeff Bezos."
“The question is whether the President of the United States should be allowed to use the budget of DoD to pursue his own personal and political ends,” the filing states. “DoD’s substantial and pervasive errors are hard to understand and impossible to assess separate and apart from the President’s repeatedly expressed determination to, in the words of the President himself, ‘screw Amazon.’ Basic justice requires re-evaluation of proposals and a new award decision.”

#######################################################################################
Oh but Trump says he brings prosperity to businesses, especially big businesses. Perhaps too much meddling is causing the downfall of the biggest of them.

Reactions: Dragonfly5

Crusher

Former Staff
Aug 2011
Heaven Above
We should NOT be storing our Top Secret, Classified, and SAP information on ANY Cloud Based solution.

I opted out of my security clearance last year to slow down my life personally. I have been privy to a 1/2 dozen cloud hacks and attempts by foreign entities. Having "On Premise", meaning servers on the actual site where the information is being stored and not hosted by a 3rd Party is far more secure (if done right - do not use the DNC as a model). No American should be for Cloud Based secrets. I have worked with Oracle, LoadSpring, and other main Cloud Based providers. They make fantastic claims about their security and I don't buy it. I was able to get Exelon Nuclear off the cloud for many of their key applications and data points. They have not been happier with the improved performance and security is simply better. But, now they hired Accenture and a fleet of foreign IT staff, so it's going back to crap anyways.

Reactions: Logically Left
Oct 2019
Earth
We should NOT be storing our Top Secret, Classified, and SAP information on ANY Cloud Based solution.

I opted out of my security clearance last year to slow down my life personally. I have been privy to a 1/2 dozen cloud hacks and attempts by foreign entities. Having "On Premise", meaning servers on the actual site where the information is being stored and not hosted by a 3rd Party is far more secure (if done right - do not use the DNC as a model). No American should be for Cloud Based secrets. I have worked with Oracle, LoadSpring, and other main Cloud Based providers. They make fantastic claims about their security and I don't buy it. I was able to get Exelon Nuclear off the cloud for many of their key applications and data points. They have not been happier with the improved performance and security is simply better. But, now they hired Accenture and a fleet of foreign IT staff, so it's going back to crap anyways.
I have an aversion to cloud computing for similar reasons, all we have is trust that the cloud server techs are good and enforcing security and not accessing the data for their own purposes.

Even Google has a horribly irresponsible data policy. Are you aware that all data from your Google accounts can be accessed from open internet?

The only protection for Google data is that the ID is hashed and it is unlikely to be able to target a specific individual. However, and people can test, find your Google data pages and tweak some numbers / letters in the string and with a hint of luck you will find some random persons data. It could be photos, videos, call logs, driving data, SIRI queries, all of it. (I'm making it sound simpler than it is to crack, but the fact that no password required is reason for pause).

This is an issue on all levels, some have even found backdoors at the hardware level (meaning, no virus scanners or firewalls can close the back door).

Reactions: Crusher
Jul 2014
midwest
Poor Bezos.

He's already the richest person on the planet and he's whining about not getting MORE?

Ya just can't make this stuff up...

May 2013
N Oregon Coast
I have an aversion to cloud computing for similar reasons, all we have is trust that the cloud server techs are good and enforcing security and not accessing the data for their own purposes.

Even Google has a horribly irresponsible data policy. Are you aware that all data from your Google accounts can be accessed from open internet?

The only protection for Google data is that the ID is hashed and it is unlikely to be able to target a specific individual. However, and people can test, find your Google data pages and tweak some numbers / letters in the string and with a hint of luck you will find some random persons data. It could be photos, videos, call logs, driving data, SIRI queries, all of it. (I'm making it sound simpler than it is to crack, but the fact that no password required is reason for pause).

This is an issue on all levels, some have even found backdoors at the hardware level (meaning, no virus scanners or firewalls can close the back door).
I thought you probably knew your stuff - The troll farm is hiring for many rubles! :D

TNVolunteer73

Former Staff
Nov 2014
TN
I thought you probably knew your stuff - The troll farm is hiring for many rubles! :D

Look it is Hillary's old Russian Friends there battle cry is RECHARGE, no wait OVERCHARGE... they overcharged her for that Russian Dossier her conspiracy with Putin did not prevent trumps election

• Haha
Reactions: BoiseBo
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Um the employees didnt want the contract. How quickly we forget.

The chorus of tech workers demanding American tech companies put ethics before profit is growing louder.

In recent days, employees at Google, Amazon and Microsoft have been pressuring company executives to drop bids for a $10 billion contract to provide cloud computing services to the Department of Defense.

As part of the contract, known as JEDI, engineers would build cloud storage for military data; there are few public details about what else it would entail. But one thing is clear: The project would involve using artificial intelligence to make the US military a lot deadlier.

Employees at different tech companies are worried about different types of projects, but they do have one thing in common: a shared concern about government contracts, and the risk that government officials can use their technology to violate basic human rights. As a worst-case scenario, they often cite the example of IBM’s contract with Nazi Germany, in which the American tech company developed a system that helped Nazis classify, organize and murder Jews.

Reactions: Friday13
Sep 2016
My own world
Look it is Hillary's old Russian Friends there battle cry is RECHARGE, no wait OVERCHARGE... they overcharged her for that Russian Dossier her conspiracy with Putin did not prevent trumps election
LOL, you slay me TNV, you can say the funniest things=you say Putin is friends with Clinton and wanted her to win. Tell Putin because he himself confirmed he wanted Trump to win. The Mueller investigation confirmed Russia helped Trump. The Republican led Senate Intelligence Committee confirmed it and a all of the US intelligence agencies have confirmed it. International Intelligence Agencies confirmed the same thing. The only person who disagrees is Trump and apparently you. The only country that disagrees is Russia. You can't make this shit up.

PS American judges that have out people on trial using the Mueller investigation have confirmed thre Russians interfered.

Maria Butina, the Russian operative who used her NRA activism to illegally infiltrate conservative political circles, was sentenced to 18 months in prison by a federal judge Friday.The judge ordered her deported as soon as her time is up.
"She was doing this under the direction of a Russian official ... at a time that Russia was looking to interfere with the U.S. political process," the judge said. “This was no simple misunderstanding by an overeager foreign student."

The Mueller report builds on the U.S. intelligence community’s conclusion that there were two campaigns to elect Donald Trump— one run by Trump and one run by the Russian government. The Mueller report clearly identified collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia, despite repeated denials from Trump and many of his senior advisers and close associates that there were any connections between the two campaigns.

TRUMP’S RUSSIA COVER-UP BY THE NUMBERS – 272 CONTACTS WITH RUSSIA-LINKED OPERATIVES