Amazon Releases Dangerous "Dash Wand"

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Ok, the "dangerous" is my own opinion. It's a $20 (temporarily free) gadget that scans bar codes, and automatically adds the product to your Amazon cart. It's a huge step up from the "Dash Buttons" which are limited to a single product. I suspect that it only works while in wi-fi, though I suppose that if you have it tethered to your cellphone operating as a hotspot, you could simply walk through any store, zapping products into your Amazon cart.

Link

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
I've ordered one. I see this as a tool that I can use when comparing items that I may buy in stores. Is it cheaper on Amazon? I'll know. The Amazon Seller app is very handy for looking up products that I might resell on Amazon that I find in thrift stores, pawn shops, and yard sales but this could be very handy when looking things up.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
I've ordered one. I see this as a tool that I can use when comparing items that I may buy in stores. Is it cheaper on Amazon? I'll know. The Amazon Seller app is very handy for looking up products that I might resell on Amazon that I find in thrift stores, pawn shops, and yard sales but this could be very handy when looking things up.
Does the wand actually do this? From what I can see, it has no display. You scan the UPC code, and it adds the item to your cart. If it's more expensive on Amazon, it will add it to your cart anyway - after all, Amazon has no way of knowing the price being charged in the store. Look at the picture of the... I dunno, hand lotion? Liquid soap? Let's say the guy just scanned the UPC code. Did one go into his cart? Or did it put a two-pack of the bottles into his cart?

I'm leery... As it currently stands, my smartphone (which I already carry with me) does the same thing, and more. The Amazon app will use the smartphone's camera to scan UPC codes, and use the smartphone's display to show you the price on Amazon. It also shows you the quantity, availability, comparable products, reviews, specifications, etc.

The Dash Wand is an extra gadget that does the same thing - and less.

Last edited:

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
I don't know but since I will have my cell phone with me anyway, I can look at the cart on my cell phone to see the price. You are right, it maybe a useless gadget but the price is right, free.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
More useful tools ... the website "camelcamelcamel.com" will take an Amazon product link, and show you how the price has changed over time. I was rather surprised to learn that the bag of cat food that I'd bought for $17 had jumped to $24. So I configured the website to send me an e-mail when the price dropped below $18 - which it did about two weeks later. It's not useful for items with relatively static prices, but for certain commodities, it's a free way to keep tabs on the price, so you can buy it when it hits your price-point.

I've also grown enamored of the "honey" plugin for Chrome. It functions on several sites, but it seems to shine on Amazon. When looking at any product, the plug-in will invite you to review the price history, and if the product is available for less (possibly with slower shipping), it notifies you, and allows you to swap the one in your cart for product from the cheaper seller.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
More useful tools ... the website "camelcamelcamel.com" will take an Amazon product link, and show you how the price has changed over time. I was rather surprised to learn that the bag of cat food that I'd bought for $17 had jumped to $24. So I configured the website to send me an e-mail when the price dropped below $18 - which it did about two weeks later. It's not useful for items with relatively static prices, but for certain commodities, it's a free way to keep tabs on the price, so you can buy it when it hits your price-point.

I've also grown enamored of the "honey" plugin for Chrome. It functions on several sites, but it seems to shine on Amazon. When looking at any product, the plug-in will invite you to review the price history, and if the product is available for less (possibly with slower shipping), it notifies you, and allows you to swap the one in your cart for product from the cheaper seller.
O, these are great!

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
I tried to buy a Dash Wand yesterday, from Amazon. No dice.

Meanwhile, what was this about also getting a free Echo?

I am not sure I want a little AI robot sitting around my house, but the twofer deal I thought I read about was interesting.