Amazon triggers outrage by selling Christmas decorations and bottle openers picturing Auschwitz

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
315 bowery/DMS
Does it matter if these were being sold by actual nazis in order for someone to point out that it's in horribly bad taste?

Do you think it's an example of liberal do-gooders overreacting to a holocaust Xmas ornament?

No.

No.

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
315 bowery/DMS
I don't know if its one or the other, but it's Amazon's job to decide what the sell, and they decided to sell this, so the responsibility is theirs. Whoever approved of this should be counselled by their supervisor and maybe terminated. They should also review their approval process.

All The counterfeits and garbage on amazon these days this getting by is no surprise.

When vitamin e was found to cause the vape illness amazon left honeycut which is literally vape vitamin e for sale until
Last week

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
315 bowery/DMS
If they didn't know what this was, they shouldn't be doing the job. If they have too many items to look at, Amazon should hire more people to do that job. I'm willing to bet that whoever was responsible for screening this item didn't actually look at it. They probably just approved it without looking, most likely because of a crushing work load--that's how Amazon works, after all.

Anyway, it's on Amazon.

Should crowd source the job

Nov 2016
USA
All I can say is that someone seriously fucked up at Amazon. I’m thinking that it involved a “third party” seller. If I’m right, I hope that that seller no longer is on Amazon.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
Does Amazon know what people sell on their service? I doubt it. Theyd need a half million reviewers.

Seems like a clear accident.

Reactions: johnflesh

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
If they didn't know what this was, they shouldn't be doing the job. If they have too many items to look at, Amazon should hire more people to do that job. I'm willing to bet that whoever was responsible for screening this item didn't actually look at it. They probably just approved it without looking, most likely because of a crushing work load--that's how Amazon works, after all.

Anyway, it's on Amazon.
Let's pretend for a moment that Amazon hired more people to approve third-party products before they are posted for sale on Amazon; enough people to ensure that there was no backlog. Is it reasonable to expect that each of those people would have recognized the building in the image?

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
#borowitzfunny

No one is suggesting that even in jest, cept for
U.
Wow. I'm impressed that you put your full brain power into it and successfully determined my remark was made in jest. A lot of people here say you don't have a sense of humor. I say, give the little guy time. It'd developing!

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
315 bowery/DMS
Wow. I'm impressed that you put your full brain power into it and successfully determined my remark was made in jest. A lot of people here say you don't have a sense of humor. I say, give the little guy time. It'd developing!
#borowitzfunny