Amazon triggers outrage by selling Christmas decorations and bottle openers picturing Auschwitz

Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic
I don't know if its one or the other, but it's Amazon's job to decide what the sell, and they decided to sell this, so the responsibility is theirs. Whoever approved of this should be counselled by their supervisor and maybe terminated. They should also review their approval process.
Nobody approved this. I'm not sure you've grasped how the internet works. Amazon would be a much more labour-intensive operation if people were manually approving the things sold through their platform.

Reactions: johnflesh

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
Nobody approved this. I'm not sure you've grasped how the internet works. Amazon would be a much more labour-intensive operation if people were manually approving the things sold through their platform.
You're right. There is an approval process for certain items that is reviewed by an actual person and the list of what those items are is revised periodically. I could only assume items like these will be added to that list so this embarrassing thing doesn't happen again. We'll see though.

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
So you are saying that Amazon did not sell it, it was one of their partners? I missed that, if so.

• Love
Reactions: the bull59
Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
Does Amazon know what people sell on their service? I doubt it. Theyd need a half million reviewers.

Seems like a clear accident.
Not sure if "accident" is the appropriate conclusion. Think there is a fair chance it was a malicious prank by a vendor/provider.

With that said, it isn't all that hard to generate outrage these days.

"A magnetic bottle opener featuring a scene from the camp wrongly describes it as “the former Jewish district in Krakow.”

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
So you are saying that Amazon did not sell it, it was one of their partners? I missed that, if so.
"Several users said that they had contacted Amazon to attempt to have the products removed. The products were not sold directly by Amazon, but by a third-party seller with the username Fcheng.

The memorial tweeted later that day, saying that Amazon appeared to have removed the items, and thanked users for their support."