Amazon walkout for climate change

Sep 2019
Idaho
Another thread in hear on Amazon got me thinking about an interview on NPR I heard with this stupid little girl organizing an Amazon walkout for climate change. She's just so upset that her job with Amazon and the company itself contributes to global warming that she decided to do something about it. Wait until you see her pic in the link. Pajama girl anyone? LMAO
Between warehouse workers whining about sore muscles and office workers demanding Zero emission it might be time to sell your Amazon stock.

"Last year, I was feeling hopeless, unmotivated and frankly ashamed of the role I was playing at Amazon Air enabling carbon emissions,” Sheppard said. “I have a beautiful three-year-old nephew, and I was afraid of what his world was going to look like in 50 years, given how much worse it had gotten in my 28 years.”
" Sheppard joined a group of Amazon workers internally lobbying for their employer to take action to reduce its negative impact on the environment and climate change. "
"They want Amazon to commit to producing zero carbon emissions by 2030 by rolling out electric vehicle use, to eliminate Amazon Web Services contracts for fossil-fuel companies and to stop funding climate-denying lobbyists and politicians. "

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Given the well-documented poor work conditions at Amazon shipping facilities, a walk-out for climate change seems a bit off-message.

Reactions: Madeline
Sep 2019
Idaho
No, just "off-message." Not every discussion topic needs to be a launchpad for crude partisan attacks.
What you see as a crude partisan attack I see as commentary on and exposure of the ridiculous leftist agenda and its adherents. The light of day needs to be shined on these fools so they can't hide in the shadows.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Well, Sheppard works at Amazon HQ and is at least risking what is probably a fabulous career to make her point.

I'm not sure why you think Amazon's environmental impact is unworthy of attention. Or why "zero emissions by 2030" is an unreasonable goal on its face.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
What you see as a crude partisan attack I see as commentary on and exposure of the ridiculous leftist agenda and its adherents. The light of day needs to be shined on these fools so they can't hide in the shadows.
In what way is this Sheppard woman trying to "hide in the shadows"?

You have an agenda of your own, Daddio, and I can't quite understand it. To assuage your anxiety over climate change by ridiculing anyone who tries to address it? To avenge yourself for the humiliation liberals heaped on you by electing a black man president? To flex your white privilege muscles before you are just another minority?

Running out of your favorite coffee creamer? Sleeping poorly?

It's more rewarding to discuss the ideas in these threads (e.g., how Amazon's growth will favorably impact the environment, as well as negatively) than the pearl clutching emotions they kindle in some PHers.

But if you are having a tough day, I send you warm, happy thoughts.

Sep 2019
Idaho
In what way is this Sheppard woman trying to "hide in the shadows"?

You have an agenda of your own, Daddio, and I can't quite understand it. To assuage your anxiety over climate change by ridiculing anyone who tries to address it? To avenge yourself for the humiliation liberals heaped on you by electing a black man president? To flex your white privilege muscles before you are just another minority?

Running out of your favorite coffee creamer? Sleeping poorly?

It's more rewarding to discuss the ideas in these threads (e.g., how Amazon's growth will favorably impact the environment, as well as negatively) than the pearl clutching emotions they kindle in some PHers.

But if you are having a tough day, I send you warm, happy thoughts.
I see you'd rather discuss me than the subject of the thread which speaks volumes

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Well, Sheppard works at Amazon HQ and is at least risking what is probably a fabulous career to make her point.

I'm not sure why you think Amazon's environmental impact is unworthy of attention. Or why "zero emissions by 2030" is an unreasonable goal on its face.
It's not unworthy of attention... I'm just saying that Amazon (in particular) has other serious issues related directly to the welfare of rank-and-file workers. If you heard that "Amazon workers were staging a walkout," with no other context, you would reasonably assume that the walkout was related to work conditions; not environmental concerns.

Reactions: Madeline
Sep 2019
Idaho

How in the world is zero emissions possible in ten years? Magic carpets instead of trains, planes and trucks?