Amazon walkout for climate change

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
I might misunderstand, but doesn't "emissions" refer to carbon dioxide? If the company consumes no fossil fuels, directly or indirectly, that is zero emissions, amirite?

It's ambitious but probably not impossible. They can start by reducing their use of plastic in packaging. They have to be plant-based cushioning materials they can use instead.
Zero-emissions in ten years is unrealistically ambitions, IMO. We have zero-emission tech to power boats, trucks, and planes, but I don't think it will be mature enough for an Amazon-scale rollout, within ten years. I'm thinking the ten-year goal is more about pushing for innovation sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Madeline
Sep 2019
Idaho
Zero-emissions in ten years is unrealistically ambitions, IMO. We have zero-emission tech to power boats, trucks, and planes, but I don't think it will be mature enough for an Amazon-scale rollout, within ten years. I'm thinking the ten-year goal is more about pushing for innovation sooner rather than later.
It's an unrealistic expectation until some new technology comes along that makes fossil fuel obsolete. Nothing as of now exist.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
It's an unrealistic expectation until some new technology comes along that makes fossil fuel obsolete. Nothing as of now exist.
"Zero emissions" is a goal - but falling short of the goal does not automatically qualify as a failure. Consider the LEDs use roughly 90% less electricity than comparable incandescent bulbs. Does that mean the technology is a failure? Of course not. But it makes it far easier to produce true zero-emission light, since you can easily power LEDs with solar energy.