Amazon will now deliver to your car

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Amazon will now deliver packages directly to your car.

CNBC first reported the new delivery system was under development in October. The free in-car delivery is available to Prime members in select cities and only through supported vehicles, the e-commerce giant said Tuesday.

Prime members register their car model, complete checkout online as they typically would, and then park their car at the designated delivery address on the scheduled delivery date.

A delivery driver remotely unlocks the car, places the package inside and re-locks the car.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/24/amazon-will-now-deliver-packages-to-prime-members-cars.html

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
You're going to be required to park your car in a designated area, and then leave it, to get the package? That's ... not gonna work...

(Caveat: People buy shit from Amazon in the way Amazon wants because it's Amazon).

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
You're going to be required to park your car in a designated area, and then leave it, to get the package? That's ... not gonna work...

(Caveat: People buy shit from Amazon in the way Amazon wants because it's Amazon).
It sounds like its meant for people who are rarely home or live in a high rise apt building. They want security of knowing they got their package I guess.

Jan 2016
Colorado
I saw a big news article today----can't remember if it was in The Denver Post or The Wall Street Journal-----that Amazon is going to making a BIG push into home robotics. They think the field is about to explode.......

Reactions: 1 person

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
Bezos idea of innovation and future-tech is "how can I make more money." Too many of those types and we'll be dystopian in no time.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
"How can we lead the way in innovation and technology. We need to stand apart, stand out, it's got to be so good competition will just stand aside."

"We could have drones deliver boxes to people's houses instead of a truck..."

"Genius!"

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Bezos idea of innovation and future-tech is "how can I make more money." Too many of those types and we'll be dystopian in no time.
Remember hearing a saying about future tech, it went something like "just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be done." Interesting in this day and age where we see some who think microchipping us all and following us everywhere we go would be just great.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
Remember hearing a saying about future tech, it went something like "just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be done." Interesting in this day and age where we see some who think microchipping us all and following us everywhere we go would be just great.
When nerds take over... This is what we get for bullying them in their youth.

Bezos could single handedly fix the a lot of issues in the world with his money alone, let alone his ability to innovate.

Musk said something along the lines of: "Some people innovate to save the world, some innovate to make money."

Nov 2015
UK
I never use Amazon, closed my account years ago when it transpired they paid nothing in tax. I don't fund them.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
I use Amazon for what they are good for, delivering goods at competitive prices. My disdain for them doesn't come cheap, I fully understand they are a company and their main goal is to make money. However when the leader of X-company attempts to come off as some sort of innovator, savior, or facilitator of societal change (Zuckerberg, Bezos, Pichai to name a few) and then their efforts only appear as a means to make them more money, I call bullshit.