America’s oldest living WWII veteran has just died in Texas at 112

Dec 2014
The Milky Way
R.I.P. Richard Overton.

Havana Sweets lost a good customer this day.

May flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

He was 112 years old.​
Family says Overton was admitted to the hospital last week with pneumonia. He died Thursday.​
Overton was born near Bastrop in 1906 and served in the army for three years during World War II. He spent the majority of his life in Austin and was often seen on the porch of his home, which he built in East Austin in 1945.​
He gave credit to God for his longevity, but he always said cigars and whiskey helped.​
“I been smoking cigars from when I was 18 years old, I’m still a smoking ‘em. 12 a day,” he said.​

America’s oldest living WWII veteran has just died in Texas at 112

Last edited:

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
My Dad is a WWII Vet. The American Legion in his local town honored him recently with a Quilt of Valor and it is beautiful. He must be the only WWII Vet in town because they visit and call him often. He is 91. The Greatest Generation is the toughest generation and far as longevity.

Reactions: Blues63

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Band of Brothers is an awesome miniseries. If you haven't seen it, it is probably the best WWII film/series out there. It's on Prime.

RIP Mr. Overton.

Reactions: DemoWhip
Jul 2014
midwest
Band of Brothers is an awesome miniseries. If you haven't seen it, it is probably the best WWII film/series out there. It's on Prime.

RIP Mr. Overton.
Agree about Band of Brothers.

Everyone should see it, especially young folks who are generations removed from WWII.

It gives a small taste of what it was about without glorifying war.

The best part was the brief interviews with the old guys who the series was about.

Reactions: Ian Jeffrey