Americans Elect: A New Way to Pick a President

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
started a conversation with [MENTION=17229]Thx1138[/MENTION] in the main forum about "Americans Elect", a group that is seeking to gain ballot access in all 50 states. They have no candidates yet, though. Candidates will be selected at an online nominating convention in June 2012.

Copying the posts from main forum that sparked the conversation:

Here is a question I have asked RP supporters and almost never seem to get an answer to...

Let's suppose the impossible happens, suppose RP does indeed drop out or just doesn't win the primary... it's possible isn't it?

Okay, who would you vote for now... one of the other repubs?

It's just a simple question and of course you don't have to answer.

Thx :)
Not a Ron Paul supporter, but your question made me think of an article I was reading recently. There's a movement called "Americans Elect" that is aiming to get on the ballot in all 50 states, and then have an online nominating convention in June of '12 (I think it was 12). I wonder if Ron Paul supporters would go that route? The ballot access would already be in place. The catch is though, the ticket has to be two people from different parties.
Hmm, you have mass candidates, but people have to pick one from each of two parties? Conservative and liberal?

I myself would like to see many more independent candidates that have no party affiliation, even though it might be impossible.

You would have to make it illegal for a president to run on a party platform somehow. Never happen I know.

Obama would have faired better without the obstructionism and childish antics from his detractors like birthers, this guy was dealt a horrible hand of cards and has never been given a fair chance.

I hope these last painful and sluggish years have taught him not to be so cordial and accomodating to the GOP, take off the kid gloves and get some jobs, jobs, jobs on the table.

That has got to be priority 1, earnest stimulus for Main St., good manufacturing jobs, not just service-sector: tax incentive over direct stimulus.

I hope he learned his lesson giving $500 mil to that solar panel company too, you can't just toss this around like confetti.

I'm not sure how the rules work on defining what is separate parties. As for mass candidates, right now, there are no candidates. There are 130,000 delegates signed up to the nominating convention though. I think it was something about 10,000 clicks for a candidate to qualify, and some other rules. It's a pretty interesting phenomonon. I'll see if I can find the article I was reading. bbiab.

Article:

2012’s New ContendersSep 29, 2011 7:09 PM EDT
[h=2]Americans Elect could radically change the presidential ballot for the better. John Avlon has an exclusive look at their operating rules.[/h]

(snip ... )

We are a country that innovates its way out of problems. And there is an innovative alternative emerging. It’s called Americans Elect and it promises to hold an open online presidential nomination contest in June of 2012 and then put a bipartisan presidential ticket on the ballot in all 50 states. It’s so crazy, it just might work.

Billing itself as “not a third party, but a second process,” I wrote about this organization first back in July. It is currently on the ballot in eight states, including the newly announced, electoral-college-rich additions of Florida and Michigan, with 1.6 million signatures in California due to be officially certified within weeks.

Now, they are releasing the rules of their revolutionary online nominating convention exclusively to The Daily Beast.

(snip ... )

Any registered voter can participate in the process. To date, 110,000 people have signed up online to be Americans Elect delegates—more than 10 times the number of delegates who participate in the Republican and Democratic conventions combined.

Any potential candidate with a professional background commensurate with the past 44 presidents—governors, senators, congressmen, Cabinet secretaries, flag-rank military officers, CEOs, or college presidents—would automatically qualify if they received 10,000 online clicks of support.

Any other citizen would be allowed to petition to put their name forward, providing they could accumulate at least 100,000 on-line support clicks—including a minimum of 10,000 supporters from 10 states—to determine broad-based support.

Candidates could be drafted or declare their intention to run outright. Beginning by early May 2012 (by which time the GOP nominee will likely be known), all candidates must have answered a set of core political and policy questions submitted by the delegates.

By mid-May after the initial qualifying ballots, candidates would need to announce a running mate—specifically, one from another political party—ensuring ideological diversity and offering the prospect of a national unity ticket.

In June, the top six tickets would face off in a series of online votes. If any ticket won an outright majority, they would become the nominee. If not, the top two vote-getting tickets would ultimately compete in a final run-off, with the independently certified winner announced no later than June 26, 2012—and then presented a secure place on the ballot in 45 states (the remaining five have summer filing requirements). And if they get at least 15 percent in subsequent polls, they’ll be standing side-by-side with President Obama and the GOP nominee in the fall debates.

more: Americans Elect: A New Way to Pick a President - The Daily Beast

Reactions: Thx1138

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Why not just nominate the candidate who gets the most 'likes' on Facebook while we're at it?

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
Why not just nominate the candidate who gets the most 'likes' on Facebook while we're at it?
Because they're not registered voters, necessarily. And, of course, Facebook doesn't have a ballot slot ;)

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
Okay I see, the actual ticket, president/VP is split between the parties.

At first "Americans Elect" it reminded me of AOL, Americans online, lol.

Hmm, I don't know if it will build bi-partisanship from the top down or cause division... how exactly do these two candidates get together, that's the sticky bit.

Reactions: jackalope

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
Should President Obama Be Scared Of Americans Elect?
BENJY SARLIN DECEMBER 15, 2011, 5:54 AM

If you watch cable news, chances are you’ve seen a segment about Americans Elect, a non-profit dedicated to nominating someone (whoever, really) to run for president outside the regular two-party primary system and get them on the ballot across the country for the general election.

Yes, it’s kind of silly on an ideological level (who would preemptively back, say, Ralph Nader OR Steve Forbes?). But one odd nugget out of an Obama campaign briefing with reporters this week is that the president’s re-election team actually sounds concerned about their impact on the race. Or, if not that, then at least mildly annoyed.
“What’s clear is they will be on the ballot in most states,” campaign manager Jim Messina said. “And that’s just something we have to deal with.”

David Axelrod added a jab or two as well, noting that while the whole point of the group is to have members elect its nominee by popular vote, some vaguely defined “council of elders” is authorized to veto the people’s choice to block an unpalatable pick.

“It’s like uber-democracy meets backroom bosses,” Axelrod said. “An amalgam of both.”

It does raise the question, though, of whether Obama should be worried about these guys. And the answer is: probably not.

more: Should President Obama Be Scared Of Americans Elect? | TPM2012

Hm. Interesting. I don't know, I don't think the idea is kind of silly. Also, I remember hearing somewhere (sorry for such a vague, unsupported rumor), that if the GOP nominated Newt, an independent third party challenge by a moderate could be a big problem for Obama.

The article includes PPP polling numbers from August on an Obama/Romney/Americans Elect ballot. But what about an Obama/Gingrich/Americans Elect ballot?

I have to say, the 'council of elders' who can veto an Americans Elect nomination if the pick is 'unpalatable'? Yea, that sounds like Super Delegates on steroids.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
Another article dissecting where Americans Elect went wrong:

Americans Elect: an inevitable $35 million failure. - Slate Magazine
WTH were they thinking? They didn't know this?

The imaginary center:Americans Elect hyped a 2011 Pew study in which 37 percent of voters—enough to win a three-way election!—called themselves independent. They hyped a Reason Foundation poll that found 89 percent of independents ready to vote third party. Do the math. Their time had come.

But electoral politics run on a different kind of math, a kind that makes no sense. As John Sides has been pointing out for years, the vast, vast majority of people who tell pollsters or voting registrars that they’re “independent” are actually deeply partisan. Historically, when a third party’s won double-digit support, it’s been explicitly right-wing (George Wallace 1968) or explicitly left-wing (Eugene Debs 1912). Ross Perot’s 1992 campaign, the one that every modern third party promises to copy, was ideological as all hell on a few issues—deficit reduction and trade, mostly.

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
WTH were they thinking? They didn't know this?

Yea, good point. I really feel disappointed, I had high hopes for this group. Not sure why I didnt' notice the secrecy in funding thing the first time around though. I REALLY don't like that part.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
Paul Krugman makes a good point about this.

What went wrong? Well, there actually is a large constituency in America for a political leader who is willing to take responsible positions — to call for more investment in the nation’s education and infrastructure, to propose bringing down the long-run deficit through a combination of spending cuts and tax increases. And there is in fact a political leader ready and willing (maybe too willing) to play that role; his name is Barack Obama.

So why Americans Elect? Because there exists in America a small class of professional centrists, whose stock in trade is denouncing the extremists in both parties and calling for a middle ground. And this class cannot, as a professional matter, admit that there already is a centrist party in America, the Democrats — that the extremism they decry is all coming from one side of the political fence. Because if they admitted that, they’d just be moderate Democrats, with no holier-than-thou pedestal to stand on.
Thing Falls Apart - NYTimes.com