Americans losing confidence in democracy

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
THE BIG IDEA: Half of Americans think the United States is in “real danger of becoming a nondemocratic, authoritarian country.” A majority, 55 percent, see democracy as “weak” — and 68 percent believe it is “getting weaker.” Eight in 10 Americans say they are either “very” or “somewhat” concerned about the condition of democracy here.

These are among the sobering results of a major bipartisan poll published Tuesday that was commissioned by the George W. Bush Institute, the University of Pennsylvania’s Biden Center and Freedom House, which tracks the vitality of democracies around the world. The three groups have partnered to create the Democracy Project, with the goal of monitoring the health of the American system. “We hope this work can be a step toward restoring faith in democracy and democratic institutions,” Bush said in a statement.

The concern about the condition of democracy inside the United States transcends the tribal divide between Republicans and Democrats, with majorities across races, genders, age groups, levels of education and income brackets expressing fear. “Americans are deeply worried about the health of their democracy and want to make it stronger,” said Michael Abramowitz, the president of Freedom House. “There appears to be a crisis in confidence in the functioning of our democracy, and it is not a party-line issue.” The report comes against the backdrop of a raging debate over civility and Donald Trump’s polarizing approach to the presidency.

The good news is that Americans overwhelmingly still support the concept of democracy and believe it’s important to keep the system we’ve inherited. That’s in contrast to the years before World War II, when many people got caught under the spell of communism and fascism. Asked to rank the importance of living in a democracy on a scale of one to 10, with 10 being “absolutely important,” 60 percent picked 10 in the new poll. Overall, 84 percent picked a number between six and 10. Among Democrats, it was 92 percent. Among Republicans, it was 81 percent.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/daily-202/2018/06/26/daily-202-a-poll-commissioned-by-bush-and-biden-shows-americans-losing-confidence-in-democracy/5b318a5030fb046c468e6f48/?utm_term=.84acb377fbc9

Nice to see that many in the GOP have not been brainwashed by Trump.

We are seeing all kinds of democracy norms being violated by him.

And that should concern EVERYONE.

Jan 2016
Colorado
And yet, and yet, other polls show that 87% of Republicans approve of President Trump's 'performance' in office, a number I find both startling and scary. I mean, he is absolutely WRECKING all of our traditional alliances around the world, and they APPROVE of that?!?!?

Sep 2014
United States
THE BIG IDEA: Half of Americans think the United States is in “real danger of becoming a nondemocratic, authoritarian country.” A majority, 55 percent, see democracy as “weak” — and 68 percent believe it is “getting weaker.” Eight in 10 Americans say they are either “very” or “somewhat” concerned about the condition of democracy here.

These are among the sobering results of a major bipartisan poll published Tuesday that was commissioned by the George W. Bush Institute, the University of Pennsylvania’s Biden Center and Freedom House, which tracks the vitality of democracies around the world. The three groups have partnered to create the Democracy Project, with the goal of monitoring the health of the American system. “We hope this work can be a step toward restoring faith in democracy and democratic institutions,” Bush said in a statement.

The concern about the condition of democracy inside the United States transcends the tribal divide between Republicans and Democrats, with majorities across races, genders, age groups, levels of education and income brackets expressing fear. “Americans are deeply worried about the health of their democracy and want to make it stronger,” said Michael Abramowitz, the president of Freedom House. “There appears to be a crisis in confidence in the functioning of our democracy, and it is not a party-line issue.” The report comes against the backdrop of a raging debate over civility and Donald Trump’s polarizing approach to the presidency.

The good news is that Americans overwhelmingly still support the concept of democracy and believe it’s important to keep the system we’ve inherited. That’s in contrast to the years before World War II, when many people got caught under the spell of communism and fascism. Asked to rank the importance of living in a democracy on a scale of one to 10, with 10 being “absolutely important,” 60 percent picked 10 in the new poll. Overall, 84 percent picked a number between six and 10. Among Democrats, it was 92 percent. Among Republicans, it was 81 percent.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/daily-202/2018/06/26/daily-202-a-poll-commissioned-by-bush-and-biden-shows-americans-losing-confidence-in-democracy/5b318a5030fb046c468e6f48/?utm_term=.84acb377fbc9

Nice to see that many in the GOP have not been brainwashed by Trump.

We are seeing all kinds of democracy norms being violated by him.

And that should concern EVERYONE.
Weird how your poll never specifically asks about Trump..........yet you assume this was all about him.

Derp!

BDBoop

Former Staff
Dec 2010
Twitter
Yup. I figure I'll just hunker down until I die and wait for all the shit to fly.

Poet/didn't know it, yada-yada-blah-blah, bullshit.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
Weird how your poll never specifically asks about Trump..........yet you assume this was all about him.

Derp!
Lack of reading comprehension again? First it was not a "poll" but a study and it does mention Trump.

It's right there in my link

The report comes against the backdrop of a raging debate over civility and Donald Trump’s polarizing approach to the presidency

But nice try at trying to derail the thread.

Sep 2014
United States
Lack of reading comprehension again? First it was not a "poll" but a study and it does mention Trump.

It's right there in my link

The report comes against the backdrop of a raging debate over civility and Donald Trump’s polarizing approach to the presidency

But nice try at trying to derail the thread.

Cool. Please link to the questions about Trump.

And it was a poll............

The nationwide telephone survey of 1,400 adults, conducted between April 28 and May 8, has a margin of error of plus or minus 2.6 percent.
Seems YOU are the one lacking reading comprehension skills.

And how the fuck is it derailing a thread to directly address the BS link you used?

:popcorn:

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado
And yet, and yet, other polls show that 87% of Republicans approve of President Trump's 'performance' in office, a number I find both startling and scary. I mean, he is absolutely WRECKING all of our traditional alliances around the world, and they APPROVE of that?!?!?
You got to take a lot of those polls with a grain of salt. They shed light but don't detail anything. I'd say it's more likely that people can answer a yes or no question to 87% (for example) than approve on a detail basis. Just talking to people will show you that it's not black and white support/approval.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
Cool. Please link to the questions about Trump.

And it was a poll............

Seems YOU are the one lacking reading comprehension skills.

And how the fuck is it derailing a thread to directly address the BS link you used?

:popcorn:
These are among the sobering results of a major bipartisan poll published Tuesday that was commissioned by the George W. Bush Institute, the University of Pennsylvania’s Biden Center and Freedom House, which tracks the vitality of democracies around the world. The three groups have partnered to create the Democracy Project, with the goal of monitoring the health of the American system

So yes it was poll that commissioned by a study group.

And not my problem if you can't click on the link to show the methodology of the questions ask's.

One of them specially mentions Trump.

Sep 2014
United States
These are among the sobering results of a major bipartisan poll published Tuesday that was commissioned by the George W. Bush Institute, the University of Pennsylvania’s Biden Center and Freedom House, which tracks the vitality of democracies around the world. The three groups have partnered to create the Democracy Project, with the goal of monitoring the health of the American system

So yes it was poll that commissioned by a study group.

And not my problem if you can't click on the link to show the methodology of the questions ask's.

One of them specially mentions Trump.
Glad I could help you with your craptastic reading skills.

Your "poll" is duly noted.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
You got to take a lot of those polls with a grain of salt. They shed light but don't detail anything. I'd say it's more likely that people can answer a yes or no question to 87% (for example) than approve on a detail basis. Just talking to people will show you that it's not black and white support/approval.
The study consisted of a three-stage process. The conclusions in this report are drawn from a nationwide telephone survey of 1,700 adults, conducted from April 28 to May 8, 2018; and from 10 focus groups, held with different segments of the American public in five locations across the country, from March 12 to April 18, 2018.

https://www.democracyprojectreport.org/report