Amnesty for Trumpers

Amnesty?

• I voted for Trump, but acknowledge that I made a mistake.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I "didn't vote for Trump" but I usually supported him against the opposition, but this was a mistake

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 2016
Colorado
Like Mark Twain said it's harder to admit you'e been conned than to be conned.
I have that observation by Twain in my signature. Twain was a KEEN student of human nature, and I think that just happens to be one of the most astute and wise and penetrating insights into the human psyche that I have ever read.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Yeah, I should have explained that observation better. I certainly didn't mean to imply that Carter as a person was in anything like the same category as Donald J. Trump. Neither was James Buchanan, really. In truth, none of our previous Presidents have had quite the same mix of ignorance, venality, self-absorption, and lack of regard for good governance and tradition that Trump possesses. So there's that.

I agree with you that Carter was -- and is -- a very decent fellow. He was possibly one of the most ethical and high-minded individuals ever to occupy the White House. And Carter's administration can claim some notable policy successes, you're right about that too. I suspect we'll need to look long and hard for anything that will, long term, be regarded as a significant success coming out of Trump's presidency.

What I meant to highlight with my comment was that Carter, like Trump, became President largely because the electorate was in the mood to dramatically change course and they picked out an unlikely candidate who probably would never have won in more normal times. And Carter, like Buchanan and Trump, was arguably in over his head in trying to deal with political, social, and cultural trends and events that were and are likely beyond anyone's control. Maybe by the late 1850s nobody could have prevented or mitigated the coming Civil War. Buchanan certainly didn't. Likewise, maybe nobody in the late '70s could have ameliorated the U.S.'s retreat into a kind of warmed over right-wing "know-nothingism" that began with Reagan and continues to this day. Carter certainly didn't.

And Trump...? We know he's not going to stop the economic and demographic changes that are occurring. Rather than easing the worst effects of those changes, he's exacerbating them, eh? Let's hope we don't all pay too high a price for Trump's failures.

Cheers.
I like....and admire.....this post, very much, and especially that long third paragraph, Havelock. I think you are quite right about the mood of the electorate in the mid-1970s, after Watergate and Vietnam. And yes, Jimmy Carter, peanut farmer from Georgia, would never have won in 'normal times'. But if Carter, who was a nuclear engineer and had one of the highest measured IQs of any of our Presidents, was 'in over his head' in the late 1970's, probably any other President would have been as well. Gerald Ford certainly would have been, had he managed to beat Carter in 1976. That trend of 'know-nothingism' had been growing since the early 1970's, when the math and science test scores started declining, and America collectively shrugged. You and I are both football fans, but that was when football became more important than algebra in this country, and that was a dangerous trend. That was when this country started churning out millions upon millions of math dopes and science illiterates from our high schools. We needed another Sputnik Shock at that time, and never got it.

Dec 2018
Florida
Between Bush and Trump President Obama will look like a giant between 2 pygmies!
That’s racist. Further. Obama will just be another forgetable president. Bush will be remembered because his presidency was one of the worst times to come into office. And not because of HIM. Though I’m sure a dumbass partisan hack would try to argue otherwise.

9/11, Katrina, Crash, and so on. While Iraq was a mistake...our military mishandled Afghanistan due to “entangling alliances.” At least that is my base assumption based on limited information and knowing that Pakistani relations were quite soured after their failure to secure the border and then finding OBL there.

Other than that? Those 3 are unimpressive presidents and I sincerely hope that shit heap of Obamacare doesn’t saddle us with yet another “social security” pyramid scheme of unending debt. Since the Democrat solution is to just throw more money at problems. I mean. I can’t really blame Democrats alone. Republicans tend to get stupid when it comes to understanding that throwing money at the government is stupid too. Because the government takes and doesn’t give back. And they intentionally spend their full budget just to request more.

But yea. I digress. The Democrat chicken littles are hilarious. But I’m just curious. So far. What rights or privileges have you lost as a citizen?

Dec 2018
Florida
If Trump has a time machine available to him (maybe in some secret government laboratory), I want him to go back to early 2001, and convince the Supreme Court that they would be making a TERRIBLE mistake if they appoint George W. Bush to be President of the United States.

That is all.
Sigh.

Well. One. They didn’t appoint him. They settled a court case that lead to his election. Because as usual...south Florida is a gigantic cesspool of mostly Democrat and yankee carpetbagging asshole corruption. Seriously. The point of Disney is for you to come...spend your money...and leave.

But Gore wouldn’t have been a “good” president either. 9/11? Katrina? Recession? All would STILL have happened. These were multi layered failures at a variety of levels of government that were ultimately non partisan in nature. Primarily because they spent a decade or more in the Making.

Dec 2018
Florida
Oh, good one! That's perfect for the disingenuous preambles thread!
Don’t know what that is. But I said it. I meant it. He served his purpose. If I wake up tomorrow to the news he died or was shot?

“Meh. Whatever. Bring in the next one.”

He is just a politician after all. I never understood why people think they are special. Or why Democrat’s think only they should have armed security. :shrug:

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
[T]he Democrat solution is to just throw more money at problems.
Of course, as you say, Republicans "throw more money" at problems just as much as Democrats. They just throw money at rich people instead of things that could actually help people - and of course underfunding things to begin with is often part of the problem (if not the problem, depending on particular cases).

Jan 2016
Colorado
That’s racist. Further. Obama will just be another forgetable president. Bush will be remembered because his presidency was one of the worst times to come into office. And not because of HIM. Though I’m sure a dumbass partisan hack would try to argue otherwise.

9/11, Katrina, Crash, and so on. While Iraq was a mistake...our military mishandled Afghanistan due to “entangling alliances.” At least that is my base assumption based on limited information and knowing that Pakistani relations were quite soured after their failure to secure the border and then finding OBL there.

Other than that? Those 3 are unimpressive presidents and I sincerely hope that shit heap of Obamacare doesn’t saddle us with yet another “social security” pyramid scheme of unending debt. Since the Democrat solution is to just throw more money at problems. I mean. I can’t really blame Democrats alone. Republicans tend to get stupid when it comes to understanding that throwing money at the government is stupid too. Because the government takes and doesn’t give back. And they intentionally spend their full budget just to request more.

But yea. I digress. The Democrat chicken littles are hilarious. But I’m just curious. So far. What rights or privileges have you lost as a citizen?
"Bush will be remembered because his presidency was one of the worst times to come into office."

You really wrote that?!?? Wow. When Bush came into office, this country was doing rather well. Unemployment was at 4% and inflation was almost non-existent. Hurricane Katrina was YEARS later, dude. Check your calendar. Maybe if someone in the Bush White House had been a regular reader of Scientific American, they would have read the warnings about what a Category 3 hurricane would do to New Orleans, and have done more to get ready.

Here is who inherited a veritable SHIT-STORM upon entering office: Mr. Obama. He entered office with the global economy in a state of collapse, teetering on the edge of the Second Great Depression, with our entire financial system in a state of cardiac arrest, with banks refusing to lend EVEN TO OTHER BANKS!!!