An actual comedian is now running Ukraine

Nov 2018
unknown
Ukrainian comedian Volodymyr Zelensky WINS election by a landslide despite his only experience being playing the President on TV, exit polls suggest
  • Comedian Zelenskiy trounced incumbent Petro Poroshenko, exit polls showed
  • Poroshenko lost to the 41-year-old TV star across all regions of the country
  • The incumbent conceded defeat on Sunday and said he had been defeated
  • Zelenskiy's unorthodox campaign made up of Instagram posts and comedy gigs

Ukrainian comedian Volodymyr Zelenskiy has won the second round of election, exit poll says | Daily Mail Online

A comedian with no political experience won a landslide victory in Ukraine's presidential election Sunday, exit polls showed.

Volodymyr Zelensky, whose only previous political role was playing the president on television, trounced incumbent Petro Poroshenko by taking 73 percent of the vote, according to exit polls conducted by several think tanks.

Poroshenko lost to the television star across all regions of the country, including in the west where he traditionally enjoyed strong support.

At his campaign headquarters, as the exit polls were published, he said: 'I will never let you down.'

'While I am not formally president yet, as a citizen of Ukraine I can tell all post-Soviet countries: 'Look at us! Everything is possible!'