An Ambassador Blogs A profile in diplomatic courage in Syria.

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine

From his blog:

The truth is what big brother says it is

http://blogs.fco.gov.uk/roller/collis/entry/the_truth_is_what_big#disqus_thread

I’ve been British Ambassador in Syria for the last four years. Last weekend I decided to start this blog after Syria passed a terrible milestone. The Syrians have now endured six months of unrest and violent suppression of mostly peaceful protests. As they now look towards the next six months with a mixture of uncertainty, fear and hope, I wanted to share some personal impressions about what’s happening. Some thoughts about why it’s happening. And maybe to spark some debate about what comes next and what can be done.
In doing so I am privileged. Because I can. The last six months have shown the Syrians can too. But in doing so, they face censorship, threats and arbitrary arrest.

more ....

Yes, I'd say a profile in diplomatic courage. I've heard our ambassador is doing great work in Syria too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tedminator

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
The embargoes are in place, not much else the major powers can do short of declaring war.
Gonna be interesting to see what happens once the fighting in Libya ends.. I'm expecting some of those rebels that fought in Libya will be going to Syria.

Last edited:
Reactions: jackalope

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
The embargoes are in place, not much the major powers can do short of declaring war.
Gonna be interesting to see what happens once the fighting in Libya ends.. I'm expecting some of those rebels that fought in Libya will to going to Syria.

Wow, interesting. I never thought of that. But, why would they? Wouldn't they want to stay in Libya to get the new country/gov't up and running?

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
Wow, interesting. I never thought of that. But, why would they? Wouldn't they want to stay in Libya to get the new country/gov't up and running?
I imagine most of the Libyan rebels will do as you say, especially those with families and responsibilities. But theres always a few that will jihad.. and hopefully they'll go to Syria rather than Iraq or A'stan.

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
From his blog:

Yes, I'd say a profile in diplomatic courage. I've heard our ambassador is doing great work in Syria too.

Sadly, b/c of security concerns, our Ambassador to Syria has been pulled:

Diplomats: U.S. Pulls Ambassador From Syria

Reuters reports:

The United States has pulled its ambassador out of Syria over security concerns after his cultivation of contacts with protesters led to attacks on his embassy and residence by backers of President Bashar al-Assad, diplomats said on Monday.

Livewire | TPM

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
4 months later bump..

It's on. Figured it was only a matter of time once the fighting in Libya was done..

Bomb voyage: 600 Libyans ‘already fighting in Syria’

The Libyan government apparently wants to share its successful experience of overthrowing the Gaddafi regime with like-minded Syrians. It has sent 600 of its troops to support local militants against the Assad regime, according to media reports. The fighters have joined the Free Syria Army, the militant group carrying out attacks on government forces in Syria, reports the Egyptian news website Al-Ray Al-Arabi citing its sources. The report says the troops entered Syria through Turkish territory.

The alleged incursion happened with the consent of the chairman of the Libyan National Transitional Council (NTC) Mustafa Abdul Jalil. The NTC allegedly welcomed volunteers to join the surge. Last Friday British media reported a secret meeting between NTC envoys and Syrian rebels had been held in Istanbul. The Libyan governing body reportedly pledged to supply arms, money and fighters to the Syrians.

Last edited:

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
It's on. Figured it was only a matter of time once the fighting in Libya was done..

The Libyan government apparently wants to share its successful experience of overthrowing the Gaddafi regime with like-minded Syrians. It has sent 600 of its troops to support local militants against the Assad regime, according to media reports. The fighters have joined the Free Syria Army, the militant group carrying out attacks on government forces in Syria, reports the Egyptian news website Al-Ray Al-Arabi citing its sources. The report says the troops entered Syria through Turkish territory.

The alleged incursion happened with the consent of the chairman of the Libyan National Transitional Council (NTC) Mustafa Abdul Jalil. The NTC allegedly welcomed volunteers to join the surge. Last Friday British media reported a secret meeting between NTC envoys and Syrian rebels had been held in Istanbul. The Libyan governing body reportedly pledged to supply arms, money and fighters to the Syrians.
Interesting info. Thanks, Ted.

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine

Damn. You totally called that one. Interesting info, thx for updating!

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
Current situation in Syria..

Dozens dead as Syria regime pounds Homs
[video=youtube_share;cPeSVUGZIHk]http://youtu.be/cPeSVUGZIHk[/video]

ugh.. Syria is gonna get ugly especially with Russia & China supporting Assad's regime and refusing to back the UN & Arab League.

Last edited: