An article regarding General Mattis service and departure from Trump's staff

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
The Man Who Couldn’t Take It Anymore

In particular this caught my eye:

His aides and friends say he found the president to be of limited cognitive ability, and of generally dubious character. Now Mattis was becoming more and more isolated in the administration, especially since the defenestration of his closest Cabinet ally, the former secretary of state Rex Tillerson, several months earlier. Mattis and Tillerson had together smothered some of Trump’s more extreme and imprudent ideas. But now Mattis was operating without cover. Trump was turning on him publicly; two months earlier, he had speculated that Mattis might be a Democrat and said, in reference to NATO, “I think I know more about it than he does.” (Mattis, as a Marine general, once served as the supreme allied commander in charge of NATO transformation.)
It's all a pretty good read. Trump really lost big when he fired General Mattis. And it's so Trump, that he thought he knew more about NATO than the General who was it's Commander.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire

It's all a pretty good read. Trump really lost big when he fired General Mattis. And it's so Trump, that he thought he knew more about NATO than the General who was it's Commander.
Whats interesting is both Mattis and Tillerson both said in effect that he has very limited cognitive ability. Tillerson said he couldnt sit still for a second and read nothing. Tillerson knew Trump somewhat prior and they got along. Only when actually working with him do they find these things out.

Jun 2014
United States

Of course, none of this will come as a surprise to anyone who hasn't had their heards buried in the sand for the past few years.

Trump is obviously unfit for office.

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Deep State

Yeah, I'm glad this is coming out. And my military nephews were happy that "Mad Dog" (a name Mattis hates) joined the team. But I do wonder what Mattis EXPECTED from Trump.

Seriously, I think most thinking people could spot his character a mile away.

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
Yeah, I'm glad this is coming out. And my military nephews were happy that "Mad Dog" (a name Mattis hates) joined the team. But I do wonder what Mattis EXPECTED from Trump.

Seriously, I think most thinking people could spot his character a mile away.
I'm pretty sure he thought he could help him tone it down, stay focused on the GOP mission, etc. He probably figured that the Trump show was somewhat of an act, that the president could turn on and off.

Jul 2018
North Carolina

Well President Trump seems to think he knows more than anybody else, just ask the President because he will tell you so;).

That was at the very least an @$$HOLLISH thing to say to the General no doubt when talking about NATO. :mad:
I would add that not only did the President lose big, America lost big on this super dumb ass move by the President.

I agree it was a good read about one of my favorite Generals.

Last edited:

HayJenn

Former Staff
Jul 2014
CA
When you leave an administration over clear policy differences, you need to give the people who are still there as much opportunity as possible to defend the country,” he continued, later adding, “We have to give the people who are protecting us some time to carry out their duties without me adding my criticism to the cacophony that is right now so poisonous.”

Pressed on whether he bears a responsibility to warn Americans about a potentially unfit president, Mattis insisted it is inappropriate to “endanger the country by attacking the elected commander in chief.”

But Mattis also indicated he might soon more vocally challenge the president and speak out about his time leading the Defense Department. “There is a period in which I owe my silence. It’s not eternal. It’s not going to be forever,” he said.

Mattis denounced a May tweet in which Trump claimed he was not bothered by North Korea’s tests of short-range ballistic missiles and promoted an insult that leader Kim Jong Un leveled against former Vice President Joe Biden.

Mattis says he owes Trump silence, but won't keep quiet 'forever'

Sure we will hear more from him in the future.

Jul 2018
North Carolina
I'm pretty sure he thought he could help him tone it down, stay focused on the GOP mission, etc. He probably figured that the Trump show was somewhat of an act, that the president could turn on and off.
Probably like most Americans who voted for him. If anything IMO he has ramped up the rhetoric.

Reactions: MaryAnne