An Inconvenient Word?

CtC

Mar 2019
California
Fine. So what spare planet do you plan to retreat to when this one becomes uninhabitable?
Or, like most RW conservatives, do you just hope you'll be dead before if happens and you simply don't give the slightest flying fuck about your great-grand-children?
Fuck em' you got yours, right?
Krypton.

Oct 2013
Sweden
Whats sad is that humans may very well cause their own extinction....which is natural I guess, since we dont seem built to understand that we can draw as many lines (borders) as we like, but our impact as a species is rather deep and its on a level that goes beyond our borders....but we are so focused on those borders....that are meaningless when it comes to our impact on the very environment on which we depend. We are selfish....its our nature I guess and we arent overcoming it...future generations are bound to suffer. I hope our ingenuity will save us......but it might not. We are stuck on selfish and stupid so far!

Jul 2019
Heartland
Um, see post #2. What is stupid are the people who refuse to understand that we are all in this together, here on Spaceship Earth. And the people who refuse to understand that the human race is doing serious damage to the biosphere of our Spaceship.
So if we understand it but the other 7.5 Billion people don't, how can we resolve the problem to your satisfaction?

Jul 2019
Heartland
So how did the biosphere survive its cataclysmic origins and become stable?

Even if humans kill themselves with nukes or pollution or too many straws, isn't the earth a self correcting system, at least to some extent?

This is my problem with the alarmists. Nothing is defined. What exactly is the "serious damage" and is it damage to humans or just temporary altering of the atmosphere that the planet will recover from?

There was something like at least ten times the CO2 when the earth was forming (or so I have been told), so that kind of "damage" has been done and the globe improved. The projection of human delicacy onto the planet is a marketing ploy. Protect our poor little planet you evil hooman!

Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide Greater 1.4 Billion Years Ago.
It is irrelevant what the atmosphere was in the past. The thing that matters is if it will deviate too much where it will negatively affect our current life forms. It is doubtful if humans could have survived the atmosphere that the dinosaurs lived in. We are adapted to function in this environment. If things change too much it could kill us off or the other life forms that we depend on.

Reactions: OldGaffer and Babba
Jul 2019
Heartland
Whats sad is that humans may very well cause their own extinction....which is natural I guess, since we dont seem built to understand that we can draw as many lines (borders) as we like, but our impact as a species is rather deep and its on a level that goes beyond our borders....but we are so focused on those borders....that are meaningless when it comes to our impact on the very environment on which we depend. We are selfish....its our nature I guess and we arent overcoming it...future generations are bound to suffer. I hope our ingenuity will save us......but it might not. We are stuck on selfish and stupid so far!
It is fairly easy to determine how the atmospheric composition will affect life. Build a large test facility and stock it with various plants and animals. Alter the gas composition and see how it affects the test subjects. At some point it will start to kill some of them. Then compare that point with the current atmosphere and you will be able to calculate how much change the environment can tolerate and when the point of no-return will be reached. Several large projects like that could probably be done for as little as $10 Billion. The ones involving sea life could be very easy.

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
It is irrelevant what the atmosphere was in the past. The thing that matters is if it will deviate too much where it will negatively affect our current life forms. It is doubtful if humans could have survived the atmosphere that the dinosaurs lived in. We are adapted to function in this environment. If things change too much it could kill us off or the other life forms that we depend on.
Exactly correct and exactly the opposite of trying to get people to worry about the planet, when it is their own lives and those of their grandchildren that are at risk.

According to my estimates, we should be very slowly moving toward glaciation at this point, so where are the comparisons, where is the "consensus" on exactly how much we have changed the natural cycle?

The advocates seem to be happy with scaring people. Where is the consensus on the numbers?

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
I harbor no fear whatsoever of miniscule changes in the climate. It's been happening since the dawn of the planet.
Climate Myth...
Climate's changed before
Climate is always changing. We have had ice ages and warmer periods when alligators were found in Spitzbergen. Ice ages have occurred in a hundred thousand year cycle for the last 700 thousand years, and there have been previous periods that appear to have been warmer than the present despite CO2 levels being lower than they are now. More recently, we have had the medieval warm period and the little ice age. (Richard Lindzen)

Greenhouse gasses – mainly CO2, but also methane – were involved in most of the climate changes in Earth’s past. When they were reduced, the global climate became colder. When they were increased, the global climate became warmer. When CO2 levels jumped rapidly, the global warming that resulted was highly disruptive and sometimes caused mass extinctions. Humans today are emitting prodigious quantities of CO2, at a rate faster than even the most destructive climate changes in earth's past.
https://skepticalscience.com/climate-change-little-ice-age-medieval-warm-period.htm