An Inconvenient Word?

Mar 2019
California
So, what you are saying is that mankind is the problem. Or at least the number of people. What number would be acceptable to you? How do we get there? There is a group that you may want to join. VHEMT: The voluntary human extinction movement. Join today!
Well ,ya see. They start with inconvenient BABIES. Then …...…......

Feb 2011
Ever changing
Your sarcasm skills are truly next level, and I am a bit charmed despite being amongst those you just insulted. Not a sensation I often have here!

That said, you are conflating three different ideas.

* Is man-made pollution creating impacts severe enough to threaten the survival of the human race, if left unchecked?

(Answer, absolutely.)

* Are there trends in language humans use to describe these impacts?

(Absolutely.)

* Are proposals to reduce these impacts rife with problems of human greed?

(Absolutely. Not sure the power struggles and corruption can be avoided even if these policies are created by humans with the purest possible motives.)
At your first comment, I blush!

I disagree with your first '*' and agree with the second and third '*"

With regards to the first '*'. From the same family of Environmental Alarmists comes the desperate call for the major reduction of the human race to save the planet from the people. Some of these solutions are quite radical like calling for extermination of humans. Then of course, we have the Global Climate alarmists calling for the reduction of CO2 to save the planet for the people. Perhaps if the two got together, they might just be able to find some sort of balance between the two. LOL!

I find myself comfortable with the Earth's ability to save itself. After all, if came from a molten, poisonous gas spewing rock that was to what it is today. Man had to struggle to save himself from the Earth. That is what we are really talking about here. The concern is for ourselves. Believe me, the Earth will be here long after man's blip in time. As far as population concerns, man has been very good at killing themselves. I think man is more likely to die from something squiggling on a slide under a microscope that some wild-haired scientist missed rather than the globe ending due to our actions.

I think everyone wants clean energy. It will probably be some retired janitor dinking around in his garage that comes up with some simple but remarkable solution to it all.

Feb 2011
Ever changing
People being displaced by rapidly rising sea levels would be enormously expensive. If you have a growing problem, wouldn't it be prudent to spend money now rather than do it later?

incidentally, this is no longer a "liberal topic." Many people including conservatives, believe this to be a real occurrence and one that needs addressing. When Republicans refuse to even discuss this topic or work on legislation to address this topic, they are leaving everything up to the Democrats. It would be good for Republicans as a party to start addressing this on their own. That way, they will not be left out of the discussion and actually have a hand in setting policy.
Do what exactly? Natures contribution to CO2 is 97% (variable to human's 3%). For example the Yellowstone geothermal system emits 40 million metric tons a year. And this is just one example. How is humankind going to make a difference by eliminating the 3%? If human contribution was 51% to nature's 50% then you would have at least some form of logic. However, water vapor makes up a variable 85% of the overall warming effect.

Now if you are talking about Global Climate changes due to natural causes, as many believe. Just what are we able to do about it?

Mar 2019
California
Do what exactly? Natures contribution to CO2 is 97% (variable to human's 3%). For example the Yellowstone geothermal system emits 40 million metric tons a year. And this is just one example. How is humankind going to make a difference by eliminating the 3%? If human contribution was 51% to nature's 50% then you would have at least some form of logic. However, water vapor makes up a variable 85% of the overall warming effect.

Now if you are talking about Global Climate changes due to natural causes, as many believe. Just what are we able to do about it?
Nothing. The WEATHER can't be regulated/

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
I think everyone wants clean energy. It will probably be some retired janitor dinking around in his garage that comes up with some simple but remarkable solution to it all.
From the late great Liberal with some common sense. See Babba, I'll quote anyone with common sense because Science should not be political.

Global Warming is Not a Crisis

MICHAEL CRICHTON
I reasoned in this way: if we‘re going to have one degree increase, maybe if, if, climate doesn‘t change and if, uh, and if there‘s no change in
technology – but of course, if you don‘t imagine there will be a change in technology in the next hundred years you‘re a very
unusual person. And I also was aware that we have actually been starting to do exactly the kind of thing that we ought to do,
which is to de-carbonize. Jesse Ausubel at Rockefeller University points out, for example, that starting about a hundred and fifty
years ago, in the time of Abraham Lincoln and Queen Victoria, we began to move from wood to coal, from coal to oil, from oil to
natural gas and so on. Decreasing our carbon, increasing our hydrogen makes perfect sense, makes environmental sense,
makes political sense, makes geopolitical sense. And we‘ll continue to do it without any legislation, without any, anything
forcing us to do it, as nothing forced us to get off horses. Well, if this is the situation, I suddenly think about my friends, you
know, getting on their private jets. And I think, well, you know, maybe they have the right idea. Maybe all that we have to do is
mouth a few platitudes, show a good, you know, expression of concern on our faces, buy a Prius, drive it around for a while and
give it to the maid, attend a few fundraisers and you‘re done. Because, actually, all anybody really wants to do is talk about it.