An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

Oct 2011
Washington State

40 years ago they said - the oil will run out in 30 years.
30 years ago they said - the oil will run out in 30 years.
20 years ago they said - the oil will run out in 30 years.
10 years ago they said - the oil will run out in 30 years
Today they say - the oil will run out in 30 years.
And they say: "that's why we must raise the price for oil".

Same with the climate.
1972 they said - we have 10 years to save the climate.
1980 they said - we have 10 years to save the climate.
1996 they said - we have 10 years to save the climate.
2006 they said - we have 10 years to save the climath.
And now they say - we have 10 years to save the climate.
And they say: "that's why we must raise the taxes".
Could you please post a link as to who said what when?

You Trumpster's hate this kid Greta more than you hate Putin. What is wrong with all of you?

Jan 2017
I've known Leo for several years on this forum. He's brilliant, incredibly well spoken and courteous, with a wonderful temperament and a great sense of humor. He's more mature than most of the adults here, including myself.

I think if the world had more Leos and Gretas we would be better off.
He seems quite intelligent and mature for a 21 year old. That doesn't give him the life experience of someone three times his age.

Sep 2013
On a hill
Simple...pollution is bad. You want to reduce pollution? I’m on board. I’m a hunter. I don’t like urban sprawl and such. I’ve noticed that we have had poor hunting for ducks for a variety of reasons. Some of which are absolutely anthropogenic. But I’m not going to support measures that hamstring MY people only and enrich someone else who has no intention of ever following the rules.

China and India? They aren’t going to reduce emissions unless it is cost effective. And you really cannot expect that position out of anyone. And giving tax breaks? That doesn’t really do it. All that does is pass the cost on to others. It doesn’t change the realistic price. Make it real? Boom. There ya go.
Doing nothing also passes costs on to others.

China seems to be doing quite a lot.

On March 4, 2014, the Chinese premier, Li Keqiang, told almost 3,000 delegates at the National People’s Congress and many more watching live on state television, “We will resolutely declare war against pollution as we declared war against poverty.”

The statement broke from the country’s longstanding policy of putting economic growth over environment, and many wondered whether China would really follow through.

Four years after that declaration, the data is in: China is winning, at record pace. In particular, cities have cut concentrations of fine particulates in the air by 32 percent on average, in just those four years.

Jul 2011
UK/Australia
I find it a bit hard to believe you were seriously doing such at 10-11 years old , tbh. I've been an adult much longer than you've been alive.
LOL, I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'seriously doing such', but I have been alive for 21 years, and while I was not sufficiently aware to be a serious observer of the human condition as a toddler or young child; I have perforce been an observer of that condition since reaching the age of reason. But I take your point, and while I concede that your years give you an advantage in that respect, I stand by my experience of many immature 40-60 year old people, who seem to think their prejudices (religious and otherwise) are God's gift to reason. I also concede that many teenagers act selfishly and unreasonably - but I do not count the like of Greta Thunberg amongst them. :)

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
The thing is? I don’t see them looking to stop any time soon. As long as they Don’t have a better alternative For the right price.
China is doing quite a bit and they're developing technology to do even more. In the end it may be that they save all our asses. Besides, we have a far bigger carbon footprint per capita.

And for some reason, Wyoming puts out a lot more carbon per capita than any other state, while NY is the lowest:

There’s also a huge difference in CO₂ emissions per person among the US states. Wyoming has the highest CO₂ emissions per capita at 110 metric tons, while New York has the lowest with under 9 metric tons, according to US Energy Information Administration figures from 2015.
While the US is way ahead of China under the CO₂ per capita measurement, China is the world’s biggest emitter overall.

Imagine what the US could do if we just turned our heaters down a couple of degrees and our AC up the same. I don't know why, but I know several people who seem to take joy in wasting energy. They get least bit cold and turn the heater up instead of putting on a sweater. I really don't get that.

Reactions: Davocrat and labrea

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
He seems quite intelligent and mature for a 21 year old. That doesn't give him the life experience of someone three times his age.
I know plenty of people who have tons of life experience, haven't learned a damn thing. They're still making the same mistakes they made as teenagers.

Reactions: Davocrat
Jul 2011
UK/Australia
Imagine what the US could do if we just turned our heaters down a couple of degrees and our AC up the same. I don't know why, but I know several people who seem to take joy in wasting energy. They get least bit cold and turn the heater up instead of putting on a sweater. I really don't get that.
That's quite interesting. Years ago, I stayed a few days with a friend of the family who lived in San Francisco. She is a lady of my gran's generation, so not that young, but the moment she came indoors she removed any warm clothing. It was winter time, but not that cold, however, she refused to wear a jumper or anything warm in the house - she just turned the heating up to the point where I felt sick. I kept the windows in my bedroom wide open day and night, so I could sleep without being too warm.

When I asked her why she did that, she said she was an American, and not like those people in Europe and the UK, who had to wear warm clothing indoors. I still don't get the point, but I felt it would be ill-mannered to question her further - it was her house and her country, and I was only a guest.