"Anonymous" threatens to erase the New York Stock Exchange from the Internet.

Jun 2011
N/A
On October 10th.

Here is the story, from PC Magazine:

"Anonymous declared "war" on the New York Stock Exchange this weekend and vowed to "erase" the NYSE from the Internet on Oct. 10 as the Occupy Wall Street protest entered its third week in New York City after a weekend that saw hundreds of protesters arrested during a planned march across the Brooklyn Bridge."On Oct. 10, NYSE shall be erased from the Internet. On Oct. 10, expect a day that will never, ever be forgotten," intoned a computer-generated male voice common to many Anonymous videos, in a warning posted onTheAnonMessage YouTube channel (video below).
The AnonMessage channel has been used to post several Occupy Wall Street-related video messages since the protest against lax regulation of the financial sector and growing economic inequality began on Sept. 17. Those messages include Anonymous' initial "official" video regarding Occupy Wall Street anda warning sent last week to the New York Police Department that threatened retaliation if "the brutality does not stop" against Occupy Wall Street protestors......"

[video=youtube;dkwSpW5klMQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkwSpW5klMQ[/video]

--------------------------------

On the WIKI for "Anonymous" is a list of all of it's successful operations, by year.

This thread may very well be quite real.

Interestingly enough, on the same day as the Anonymous announcement, the NYSE had a huge comeback.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
All they have to do is set up a mirrored database that isn't accessible via the internet. When the SE is "erased" it can be "restored."

Jun 2011
N/A
Jesus ...
I doubt he will have anything to do with it, if it happens.

But notice what a bear day the NYSE had today.

If they get really scared, then we will see lots of puts and lots of irregular trading between Wednesday and Friday.

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I have my doubts they could actually do it. First off, it's not like the Exchange doesn't have security measures. Second, this isn't the movies. They're hackers not wizards.

Reactions: (I) Doomsday

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
I doubt he will have anything to do with it, if it happens.

But notice what a bear day the NYSE had today.

If they get really scared, then we will see lots of puts and lots of irregular trading between Wednesday and Friday.

I think you mean 'bull day'....

michaelr

Former Staff
Dec 2006
FEMA Region 10
On October 10th.

Here is the story, from PC Magazine:

"Anonymous declared "war" on the New York Stock Exchange this weekend and vowed to "erase" the NYSE from the Internet on Oct. 10 as the Occupy Wall Street protest entered its third week in New York City after a weekend that saw hundreds of protesters arrested during a planned march across the Brooklyn Bridge."On Oct. 10, NYSE shall be erased from the Internet. On Oct. 10, expect a day that will never, ever be forgotten," intoned a computer-generated male voice common to many Anonymous videos, in a warning posted onTheAnonMessage YouTube channel (video below).
The AnonMessage channel has been used to post several Occupy Wall Street-related video messages since the protest against lax regulation of the financial sector and growing economic inequality began on Sept. 17. Those messages include Anonymous' initial "official" video regarding Occupy Wall Street anda warning sent last week to the New York Police Department that threatened retaliation if "the brutality does not stop" against Occupy Wall Street protestors......"

[video=youtube;dkwSpW5klMQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkwSpW5klMQ[/video]

--------------------------------

On the WIKI for "Anonymous" is a list of all of it's successful operations, by year.

This thread may very well be quite real.

Interestingly enough, on the same day as the Anonymous announcement, the NYSE had a huge comeback.

Yeah right, like they can

Besides who gives a shit, it is owned by Germany.

No on complained then, but they sure do know.....hahahaha people don't get it!

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut
Hmmm...interesting threat considering they recently failed to hack facebook.

Reactions: michaelr