Another enemy of Putin shot dead...

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Arkady Babchenko, a Russian journalist critical of the Kremlin, has been killed, say Ukrainian authorities.

Mr Babchenko was shot at his apartment in Kiev on Tuesday evening. He died in an ambulance on the way to hospital. According to Anton Geraschenko, a Ukrainian politician with close links to the police and security services, said that the journalist had left his flat to buy provisions, and was attacked on his return.

"When Arkady opened the door of his flat, the killer cowardly shot him in the back, firing several shots," he wrote on Facebook.

A lawyer by education, Mr Babchenko was a two-time veteran of the Chechen conflict — first as a conscript, and later as a contract soldier. It was there that he began his writing career, publishing a book on his experiences to critical acclaim.

The journalism that followed — whether it be from Russia or, later, Ukraine — was no less powerful.

Mr Babchenko left Russia for the Czech Republic in February 2017, citing unspecified threats. He later resettled in Ukraine.

“There is an informed opinion that it would be a good idea for me to live outside our god-protected Motherland for a while,” he wrote on Facebook.

It was understood that his critical reporting of the wars in Ukraine and Syria had contributed to this new danger assessment.

On Monday, the eve of his murder, the journalist wrote that an unidentified associate of President Putin had proposed killing him.

Some time later, Mr Babchenko deleted the post, but a link to it remained.
Russian journalist and Kremlin critic Arkady Babchenko killed in Kiev, Ukraine authorities say

Babchenko in South Ossetia in 2008, reporting on the war with Georgia

He did a lot of work as a war correspondent, became well known for that.

Later, he became critical of the government, and, yes, eventually forced to leave the country, after pro-Putin radicals began openly threatening him and his family.

In 2014, reporting from Donbass, among Ukrainian forces

He railed against Putin for the war with Ukraine, thought it was the worst thing the guy did.

At one point, last year, I believe, he wrote on Facebook that he will return one day to Moscow "on a NATO tank"

In return, Russian nationalists promised him someone will find him and put a bullet in his head.

And now, someone did...

It's not the first such assassination in Kiev.

Last year, Denis Voronenkov, a former Communist MP who fled to Ukraine with his wife, opera singer Maria Maksakova, was also shot and killed right in front of her horrified eyes, as he excited their Kiev hotel with his bodyguard, before he could testify about Putin to a Ukrainian court

A distraught Maria being held up by police officers later

No, Kiev is no safe place for Kremlin opponents.

Hell, nowhere is. A a former media official for Putin, who was gonna meet with the USDJ, was beaten to death in his DC hotel room with a fucking baseball bat, also last year: http://politicalhotwire.com/current-events/176102-putin-ex-media-czar-beaten-death-bat.html

In Washington fucking DC. You cross Putin, in Russia, you die. Doesn't matter where you run, they will find you and get you...

Reactions: 1 person
Dec 2015
SoCal
Vladimir Putin is the most dangerous man in the world. When oh when oh when are some Americans going to wake up and realize that?
Putin is dangerous, no doubt about it.

In my estimation, Putin is one of the most dangerous, certainly, but there are others, and one in particular, whom I daresay are equally or even more dangerous.

Reactions: 1 person
Jan 2016
Colorado
Putin is dangerous, no doubt about it.

In my estimation, Putin is one of the most dangerous, certainly, but there are others, and one in particular, whom I daresay are equally or even more dangerous.
The one you're thinking of is simply an apprentice of Putin's.

Reactions: 3 people
Jun 2013
Here
Vladimir Putin is the most dangerous man in the world. When oh when oh when are some Americans going to wake up and realize that?
Here's our POTUS's response to "killers".....

[video=youtube;7PA4PgG9-eI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PA4PgG9-eI[/video]

And Kim Jong Un?

Reactions: 4 people