Another example of Trump's SOP

Nov 2016
USA
Only thing I don't like about Special Olympics is the patronizing attitude . There should be winners and losers. Not a "Prize" for everyone.
Excuse me, but we’re not dealing with average kids. We’re dealing with “special needs” (various disabilities such as Down Syndrome, disabilities often associated with below average IQ) kids, kids for whom participation itself is an accomplishment.

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
USA
Except he never cut funding.

He doesn't have that power.

The president's power in terms of the budget are really limited.
And yet he gets huge amounts of blame for it, which suggests he really does have considerable power. He has the power to speak first in the discussion.

He can only veto the shit for so long before the political blowback becomes unacceptable....we saw that with the government shutdown.

This is one of the few areas that Congress still retains power over the executive branch.
You're arguing against a point I'm not making. (Typical.)

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
USA
Excuse me, but we’re not dealing with average kids. We’re dealing with “special needs” (various disabilities such as Down Syndrome, disabilities often associated with below average IQ) kids, kids for whom participation itself is an accomplishment.
Exactly. And not just cognitive disabilities--physical disabilities too.

May 2012
By the wall
And yet he gets huge amounts of blame for it, which suggests he really does have considerable power. He has the power to speak first in the discussion.

You're arguing against a point I'm not making. (Typical.)
Yes, the president does usually speak first so if you want to equate that to power then that is fine.

The president is the captain of the boat that sets our course, one of the ways he does that is with his budget.

Congress doesn't have to follow it of course but it is sort of their blueprint and they use that as their guideline to begin their work.

For instance, congress probably never would have touched NASA if Obama hadn't defunded their programs in his budget. We'd probably still be flying that rickety space shuttle up and down for no good reason instead of Space X innovating new technology so I suppose the president does have some control in that regard.

RNG

Jan 2015
Left coast
Except he never cut funding.

He doesn't have that power.

The president's power in terms of the budget are really limited.

He can only veto the shit for so long before the political blowback becomes unacceptable....we saw that with the government shutdown.

This is one of the few areas that Congress still retains power over the executive branch.
Then why have you never spoken out in defense of Obama when RW types condemn him for deficits run up by the Republican dominated congress?