Another new 737 crashes

Jul 2014
midwest
New reports from people on the ground who witnessed the crash said there were "loud rattling noises" and smoke and fire trailing the airplane before it went in.

No idea how reliable these reports are.

Or, what being on fire and making rattling noises would mean, if true.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
New reports from people on the ground who witnessed the crash said there were "loud rattling noises" and smoke and fire trailing the airplane before it went in.

A shootdown of some sort???

It's not impossible... Ethiopia isn't far from Somalia which has al Shabab (aka Somali al Qaeda) as well as ISIS-aligned groups, both of whom would, I bet, love to take out an airliner with foreigners on board...

I hope not, of course...

Nov 2015
UK
In Ethiopia this time.

157 dead, including 8 Americans.

Significant that this was a brand new one just like the one which crashed in Indonesia a few months ago.

And, both had just taken off.

This pilot was very experienced, but maybe not familiar enough with this airplane.

World class airplane, perhaps less than world class training, maintenance...etc.
Might be something to do with the engines sitting much forward of the plane and some system that deals with that because the plane can be unstable.

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC

Read the detail about the "trailing smoke" in the paper this morning. Also stated that the plane reportedly rolled twice before hitting the ground.

Seems like the viable possibility of a malicious act may still be on the table.

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
Late model 737's have a good record.
Agreed. The same make and model are used by several US domestic airlines and none, to my knowledge, have reported problems. It could be a pilot training issue. It might be something about foreign 737 Max 8s or their maintenance practices. Lion air was a crappy airline, but Ethiopian had an excellent reputation.

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
Trump, once again, spouts off about shit he doesn't know about:

Airplanes are becoming far too complex to fly. Pilots are no longer needed, but rather computer scientists from MIT. I see it all the time in many products. Always seeking to go one unnecessary step further, when often old and simpler is far better. Split second decisions are....

....needed, and the complexity creates danger. All of this for great cost yet very little gain. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want Albert Einstein to be my pilot. I want great flying professionals that are allowed to easily and quickly take control of a plane!

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Trump, once again, spouts off about shit he doesn't know about:

Airplanes are becoming far too complex to fly. Pilots are no longer needed, but rather computer scientists from MIT. I see it all the time in many products. Always seeking to go one unnecessary step further, when often old and simpler is far better. Split second decisions are....

....needed, and the complexity creates danger. All of this for great cost yet very little gain. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want Albert Einstein to be my pilot. I want great flying professionals that are allowed to easily and quickly take control of a plane!
Trying to get the pilot vote? lol