Another rebranding for climate change, be very afraid.

Sep 2019
Idaho
How do you know it's a lie? Unless you are one of the scientists that has experience in this area, what qualifies you (aside from the first amendment) to make a statement like that?
You already admitted it's not proven but said we should react based on the seriousness of the charge. Call it a lie or an unproven hypothesis reacting to it based on how big the lie or seriousness of the charge is a fools folly.

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
I've Got Nowhere Else to Go
Do climate change deniers ever wonder what will happen on the off-hand chance that they turn out to be wrong, and the entire scientific community turns out to be right? People are likely to be rather irate to learn their children have no future, and that we deliberately did nothing about it when we had the chance because the fossil fuel lobby couldn't be bothered to take a hit out of their profits.

I mean I'm sure the 1%'s plan is to retreat to their planned communities and shut the gates, do the climate change deniers imagine the 1%ers are going to adopt them? Are they aware they're just going to be stuck out here with the rest of us?

Sep 2019
Idaho
Right - it's being trotted out by one person, who has no more say in the matter than either of us.
Daily mail is also giving the term a test spin

Our scorched Earth in 2100: Nasa maps reveal how climate change will cause temperatures to soar

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
I've Got Nowhere Else to Go

Our scorched Earth in 2100: Nasa maps reveal how climate change will cause temperatures to soar

Those commies over at NASA! They've been lying about the flat earth too.

Reactions: labrea

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA

Individual writers have used the phrase "scorched earth" in conjunction with climate change for years. The example you provided dates back to 2015. It's called hyperbole. While the UK does not hold a monopoly on the use of hyperbolic headlines, they engage in sensationalism with considerable frequency. The U.K.-based Independent published an article about climate change back in March 1996 titled "Our Scorched Earth." It wasn't an effort to "gain traction." It was just an effort to get people to read the article.