Anti-Islam "blasphemy" by French teenager

Mar 2010
out
There's a tradition of irreverence in France as seen in Charlie Hebdo for instance. It can be bad form but is protected by law as long as it does not put public order at risk. Basically you can insult religions but not their followers. It's a very thin line which judges have sometimes trouble to define

Reactions: The Man
Feb 2020
The Frozen North
There's a tradition of irreverence in France as seen in Charlie Hebdo for instance. It can be bad form but is protected by law as long as it does not put public order at risk. Basically you can insult religions but not their followers. It's a very thin line which judges have sometimes trouble to define
In my estimation, it's not worth deriving a difference. One, the religion, is insane, the other, the religious, are unhinged and do not understand reason or logic.

The two are not mutually exclusive, and both deserve equal scorn and insult.

Mar 2010
out
In my estimation, it's not worth deriving a difference. One, the religion, is insane, the other, the religious, are unhinged and do not understand reason or logic.

The two are not mutually exclusive, and both deserve equal scorn and insult.
I agree, but sometimes free speech can become a public order issue, at least here.

With regards to our case, Mila was insulted by some Muslim men because of her pro-homosexual stance. She responded in kind and derided Islam. That's OK in my book

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
What about the lunatic right wing evangelicals demanding Netflix and Amazon end shows that disparage their filthy religion?
Same shit, sure.

By this standard, all religions are false. We're all Atheists here. Some of us just go one god further than all the others.
Well, I am actually a believer myself. Just dislike ORGANIZED religion :)

I agree, but sometimes free speech can become a public order issue, at least here.

With regards to our case, Mila was insulted by some Muslim men because of her pro-homosexual stance. She responded in kind and derided Islam. That's OK in my book
I agree.

It is more complex in Russia, for example, where majority of Muslims, from Tatars to Chechens, are indigenous citizens on own native land, in own republics, with as much right to own opinions of things, as the Slavs/ethnic Russkis (whether those ones like it or not; the fucking Constitution says all the many peoples of the Russian Federation have equal say in her affairs; the racists and Slav nationalists can go fuck themselves... :D)

But, in your France, most of your Muslims are bloody immigrants, no? Algerians and such. They must be made to understand - conform to French society and it's values, or back to Africa with you! Why the heck not?

Reactions: Kerberos

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work

Muslims have a real issue with accepting criticism of their religion... It's truth. I say this as someone who grew up among many of them...
It was like that in the Christian world too (I know you know, but I'm just saying), until the Enlightentment came along and banished religion from public policy, and put it where it belonged—as people's personal beliefs that are no one else's business. It was one of the great achievements of reason over superstition in the history of the world.

The same thing will happen to Muslims if they are allowed to experience the freedom of speech and thought and scientific exploration that we have been cultivating for well over 300 years. Religion will lose, as it always does when it comes up against the freedom to discuss, inspect, invent, and demonstrate things that are practical. Doctors can pray over patients all they want, but it's medical science that saves lives. Engineers can pray for an invention all they want, but it's the understanding of physics and chemistry and electromagnetism and all the rest that leads to inventions. Society is far better off for having abandoned religion in public life, and Muslims will be far better off living in such a society too.

Yet there are some that cower in fear of a 1400 year old desert religion overpowering the worldview that created the industrial revolution, modernity, and even the digital revolution. Crazy, huh?

Mar 2010
out
But, in your France, most of your Muslims are bloody immigrants, no? Algerians and such. They must be made to understand - conform to French society and it's values, or back to Africa with you! Why the heck not?
Maybe in the 1950's, but not anymore: there are many French Muslims who were born here.

But even then, let's not forget that most of them have been invited here. They've helped build our roads, schools, hospitals etc. They have contributed to the "greatness" of France more than I will ever be willing to ;)

Last edited:
Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
They simply have an instinct to defend any minorities :)

Not, in itself, a bad thing, IMHO

Just, must remember that a minority is not always gonna be in the right either ;)

Good and bad people come from everywhere...

Oh, absolutely. In Russia, for example, there are Orthodox Christian groups just as militant and crazy as any Muslim ones...
Islam is the largest religion in the world.

Kind of unreasonable to consider them minorities.

The Left defends them for other reasons.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Islam is the largest religion in the world.

Kind of unreasonable to consider them minorities.
Second-largest. Xianity is the largest in the world. 31.5% Xian versus 23% Muslim.

Of course, that is not the standard for whether one is a minority. It depends on the country you are in. In the U.S., Muslims are by far in the minority (77% Xian versus about 1% Muslim), while in Indonesia Islam is the majority religion (87% versus 10% Xian).