Anti-vaxxers fringe has gone absolutely apeshit

BDBoop

Former Staff
Dec 2010
Twitter
Meet the New, Dangerous Fringe of the Anti-Vaccination Movement

The 11-year-old girl’s mother saw the Facebook message first. It came from a profile that looked like it belonged to the girl’s beloved aunt, but the words didn’t sound like her.

“Your mother is a fat ugly lazy piece of shit who tried to kill you,” the message read. “She is a bully and suffers from mental problems. She is under investigation for the hate groups and illegal computer crimes she’s committing. I hope you like your new home. You can thank me when you’re older.”

It feels like every time I don't think people can get any more unhinged, they have a sworn duty to prove me wrong.

As you might imagine, the members of the two Facebook pages frequently trade insults. But things are more heated than usual these days: on Thursday, the California assembly voted to approve SB 277, a bill that will make it far harder for schools or day cares to admit students who haven’t been fully vaccinated against common communicable disease like measles, pertussis, mumps, rubella, chicken pox and poliovirus, by ending exemptions granted to parents who cite personal or religious reasons. (Medical exemptions will still be allowed.)

For some anti-vaccination activists, the bill represents a deep threat to themselves, their children and society at large. California law has historically made room for a very broad “personal belief” exemption for parents who don’t want to vaccinate their kids, and a growing number of people have used it over the years to opt out of vaccinating.

But state lawmakers started rethinking that stance after the massive measles outbreak at Disneyland, which has been linked to low vaccination rates across the state. “If we had higher levels of immunity in the community, this outbreak would not have happened,” Dr. Gil Chavez, California’s state epidemiologist, told the L.A. Times.
Excellent read.