Anti-Vaxxers Go From Online to IRL

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Copyright Violation
"In October, Dr. Eve Krief watched from the window of her Long Island, New York, pediatrics practice, as around 20 women gathered on the lawn.

Armed with signs and banners with messages like, “We spread truth not disease,” the women — a group of anti-vaccine activists from New York and California — had come to protest Krief over her recent support for the 2019 state law that removed religious exemptions for vaccines.

Some of the protesters sat with signs, while others stuck anti-vaccine propaganda under car windshield wipers in the parking lot. Several approached parents entering the building with their infants, asking, "Are you vaccinating your baby?"

*Skip*

But the in-person protests and the interaction with patients was another level.

"It's unsettling," Krief said, adding that her office is beefing up security measures in response.

*Skip*

Opposition to immunizations was once largely limited to online bullying, but now opponents are increasingly taking their harassment tactics into the real world: aggressively following legislators and doctors and, in some cases, using physical violence.

But as opposition to vaccination has risen in recent years, so have cases of measles. Major outbreaks occurred in California and New York have spurred lawmakers in those states to strengthen vaccine mandates for school children. Reaction from anti-vaccine groups was swift and violent.

Post truncated to adhere to posting guidelines re: copyright

I can't understand the psychology of anyone who would refuse to vaccinate their child AND engage in violent protests to prevent other parents from doing so.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Living up here in northern New England, I have been exposed to anti vaxxers for a lot longer than in many other areas. There have been a lot of old style "hippie communes" up in these parts where they never vaccinated. It was all part of the all natural, anti pharma movement. They dont administer antibiotics either but rather use natural items like tree bark etc. But now with social media, that movement has spread all over to all types of people. Its super odd to anyone who is old enough to remember vaccinations given at public school and kids lining up for them. My thoughts are that first world countries have become spoiled, we dont see polio stricken kids anymore so we have forgot the horror.

Mar 2015
Mad Prophet
Living up here in northern New England, I have been exposed to anti vaxxers for a lot longer than in many other areas. There have been a lot of old style "hippie communes" up in these parts where they never vaccinated. It was all part of the all natural, anti pharma movement. They dont administer antibiotics either but rather use natural items like tree bark etc. But now with social media, that movement has spread all over to all types of people. Its super odd to anyone who is old enough to remember vaccinations given at public school and kids lining up for them. My thoughts are that first world countries have become spoiled, we dont see polio stricken kids anymore so we have forgot the horror.
Oh noes! My condolences....

I kick hippies.

• Haha
Reactions: BoiseBo

TNVolunteer73

Former Staff
Nov 2014
TN
"In October, Dr. Eve Krief watched from the window of her Long Island, New York, pediatrics practice, as around 20 women gathered on the lawn.

Armed with signs and banners with messages like, “We spread truth not disease,” the women — a group of anti-vaccine activists from New York and California — had come to protest Krief over her recent support for the 2019 state law that removed religious exemptions for vaccines.

Some of the protesters sat with signs, while others stuck anti-vaccine propaganda under car windshield wipers in the parking lot. Several approached parents entering the building with their infants, asking, "Are you vaccinating your baby?"

*Skip*

But the in-person protests and the interaction with patients was another level.

"It's unsettling," Krief said, adding that her office is beefing up security measures in response.

*Skip*

Opposition to immunizations was once largely limited to online bullying, but now opponents are increasingly taking their harassment tactics into the real world: aggressively following legislators and doctors and, in some cases, using physical violence.

But as opposition to vaccination has risen in recent years, so have cases of measles. Major outbreaks occurred in California and New York have spurred lawmakers in those states to strengthen vaccine mandates for school children. Reaction from anti-vaccine groups was swift and violent.

Post truncated to adhere to posting guidelines re: copyright

I can't understand the psychology of anyone who would refuse to vaccinate their child AND engage in violent protests to prevent other parents from doing so.

Your thoughts?

Antivaxers have a legitimate concern. There are studies, that indicate health problems from vaccines, (mercury is not a good thing to inject into an infant with a developing brain) There are also studies that contradict the studies and say there is little or no risk.

I personally believe in Vaccinations, My oldest daughter does not... it is a battle sometimes with our conflicting views.

Reactions: Hognoxious
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Antivaxers have a legitimate concern. There are studies, that indicate health problems from vaccines, (mercury is not a good thing to inject into an infant with a developing brain) There are also studies that contradict the studies and say there is little or no risk.

I personally believe in Vaccinations, My oldest daughter does not... it is a battle sometimes with our conflicting views.
Lots of younger moms are like that nowadays. My daughters two friends who just became first time mothers arent going to vaccinate. One is actually a nurse and the other is a teacher so both with 4 year degrees too. So many of those "mommy groups" and support groups are pushing these ideas.

Reactions: Madeline

TNVolunteer73

Former Staff
Nov 2014
TN
Lots of younger moms are like that nowadays. My daughters two friends who just became first time mothers arent going to vaccinate. One is actually a nurse and the other is a teacher so both with 4 year degrees too. So many of those "mommy groups" and support groups are pushing these ideas.

there are legitimate concerns. there are studies that show early vaccinations are a risk, others studies do counter this.

Now you remember most PRO vaccination studies are done by companies that PRODUCE the vaccinations.

Reactions: Hognoxious
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
there are legitimate concerns. there are studies that show early vaccinations are a risk, others studies do counter this.

Now you remember most PRO vaccination studies are done by companies that PRODUCE the vaccinations.
Quite a few doctors will spread out vaccinations nowadays or recommend it.

Reactions: HCProf
May 2013
N Oregon Coast
Oh for the Love of God. Didn't this sort of person have enough to do harassing young women/ carrying signs with bloody aborted fetuses outside Planned Parenthood clinics, attending Flat Earth Society meetings and telling us all how science doesn't support man-caused climate change without resorting to this crap?