Anybody watching Ken Burn's "Country Music"

Jan 2014
California
Bump, because it is such a good series. Last night they were talking about how during the late 1960s, early 70s, rock bands from all over were flocking to Nashville to record (especially bob Dylan), because Nashville had the best session musicians in the country.

Lots of other good stuff. (Kris Kristofferson being the son of an AF general, Rhodes Scholar, Airborne Ranger Helicopter Pilot, instructor at west point, giving it all up to write songs in Nashville, etc.)

Blues63

Dec 2014
Mustafa
Has this been out for a while? I think I may have seen it, but it was a few years ago.

Jan 2014
California
Not watching it but I plan to.
boontito,

only two episodes let. Tonight's is the mid-1970s.

One thing that surprised me is Hank Williams was to me the father of honky tonk, elder statesman, as it were, with a huge amount of hits, and when he died, he was only 29.

raj

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
I'm watching it online.

So far, I've watched Episode 1, thought it was really interesting.

Watched Episode 2, thought it was dull.

I'm hopeful for Episode 3; expecting Hank Williams.

Btw...can anyone explain the adoration for Sara Carter's singing (Mother Maybelle's playing I totally get)? It's expressive, but it never really struck me as anything all that special.

Reactions: The Man
Jan 2014
California
I'm watching it online.

So far, I've watched Episode 1, thought it was really interesting.

Watched Episode 2, thought it was dull.

I'm hopeful for Episode 3; expecting Hank Williams.

Btw...can anyone explain the adoration for Sara Carter's singing (Mother Maybelle's playing I totally get)? It's expressive, but it never really struck me as anything all that special.
Mr. raj,

Consider they came up in the 1930s, when everybody in America was dirt poor and struggling, and they sang songs of hope. Even though she didn't have a great voice, she was one of the people she sang to.

raj

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
Mr. raj,

Consider they came up in the 1930s, when everybody in America was dirt poor and struggling, and they sang songs of hope. Even though she didn't have a great voice, she was one of the people she sang to.

Not all of their songs were songs of hope.

But many were purloined traditional tunes. :think:

Jul 2019
Atlanta
Bump, because it is such a good series. Last night they were talking about how during the late 1960s, early 70s, rock bands from all over were flocking to Nashville to record (especially bob Dylan), because Nashville had the best session musicians in the country.

Lots of other good stuff. (Kris Kristofferson being the son of an AF general, Rhodes Scholar, Airborne Ranger Helicopter Pilot, instructor at west point, giving it all up to write songs in Nashville, etc.)
Kris is from Saudi Arabia. His father was the head of Aviation for ARAMCO. He was very involved in the horse farm and had a reputation for being a sweet and helpful boy.