Anybody watching Ken Burn's "Country Music"

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Kris is from Saudi Arabia. His father was the head of Aviation for ARAMCO. He was very involved in the horse farm and had a reputation for being a sweet and helpful boy.
Yeah, Kristofferson is a very traditional Arabic name lol

In reality:

Kristoffer Kristofferson was born in Brownsville, Texas, to Mary Ann (née Ashbrook) and Lars Henry Kristofferson, a U.S. Army Air Corps officer (later a U.S. Air Force major general).[2] His paternal grandparents emigrated from Sweden, while his mother had English, Scots-Irish, German, Swiss-German, and Dutch ancestry. Kristofferson's paternal grandfather was an officer in the Swedish Army. When Kristofferson was a child, his father pushed him towards a military career.[3]

At the age of 17, Kristofferson took a summer job with a dredging contractor on Wake Island. He called it "the hardest job I ever had."[4]
Kris Kristofferson - Wikipedia

Even if his father indeed worked in Saudi for a time, as you say, that sure as hell doesn't make him FROM there... WTF...

Reactions: MaryAnne and raj
Jul 2014
midwest
Frankly, it is better than his "Jazz" series, and I am a huge jazz fan.
Watched most of it, and it's great.

And I'm not a fan of Country music.

But, I AM a fan of Ken Burns.

My biggest regret is that I missed the fist 35 minutes of the first episode.

Oh well, it'll be rerun many times, and deservedly so...

Jan 2014
California
Watched most of it, and it's great.

And I'm not a fan of Country music.

But, I AM a fan of Ken Burns.

My biggest regret is that I missed the fist 35 minutes of the first episode.

Oh well, it'll be rerun many times, and deservedly so...
Mr. Miller,

I don't consider myself to be a country fan either (though I do like bluegrass) but was surprised to see I recognized pretty much all the people mentioned and most of the songs.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
Mr. Miller,

I don't consider myself to be a country fan either (though I do like bluegrass) but was surprised to see I recognized pretty much all the people mentioned and most of the songs.
Bakersfield, Kallie?:) Merle and Buck.:)

Jan 2014
California
No, it started a few weeks ago. I have it all on DVR. Another tonight at 8 PM. PBS.

It is actually a History of the 20 TH century. Even if you do not like Country the History is amazing. A trip down Memory Lane for me.
Ms. MaryAnne,

Interesting to see that every story starts the same way "Such and such was born dirt poor in a one room shack, the son/daughter of a sharecropper/miner/dirt farmer..."

Jan 2014
California
Fair enough.. I went to school with his younger brother. Nice boys.
Mr. Charleston

funny story (hopefully not giving anything away). Kris's mother disowned him, sending him a letter saying that he was wasting his life with this country music thing, and until he turned his life around, don't bother contacting them or come home. He showed the letter to Johnny Cash who said "always great to get letters from home."