AOC riles democrats as she refuses to pay party dues

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
She instead will help progressives defeat traditional democrats. Thoughts?

People probably understand or are at least vaguely aware of most of the things members of Congress do. They travel back and forth to Washington, take votes, hold fundraisers, attend committee hearings, write legislation, travel abroad on boondoggles — er, CODELs — et cetera.

But then, some aspects of political life are seriously under-appreciated by the public. This includes the mandatory payment of party dues. Whatever your party, if you are a member of the House, you are expected to raise money and kick a significant amount into the party committees to help members who face tougher elections.

Democrats require their House members to kick $250,000 in dues to the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee or "D-trip." Yet Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is having none of it, both by her own reckoning and to the chagrin of her party colleagues. Some Democrats seem pretty salty about this. Ocasio-Cortez isn't just refusing to support her party or be a team player — she is attempting to create a separate team, a power base of her own, from which to undermine her party's leadership.

She raised more than $300,000 last year, to elect hand-picked candidates, including primary challengers to her sitting Democratic colleagues. She is supporting left-wing challengers to moderate Reps. Dan Lipinski of Illinois and Henry Cuellar of Texas. She has also transferred money to some specific incumbents in front-line districts, the report notes. She raised more money than any other House Democrat last year, including Pelosi, and she is doing almost all of it effortlessly from the online Left.

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Somewhere below 14th and East.
She's rocking the boat.

This is why the more extreme her antics get against her party, the more back page her stories of dissent will appear.

I actually can respect her for this move as bat shit crazy as her views are. she's willing to put her money where her middle class mouth is....

Kudos to her, but she's signed her death warrant. the establishment democrats are like the mob.

Reactions: highway234
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
As long as she doesn't accept any money from the party.
For campaigning? Thats interesting. I suppose she doesnt need to since she raises more than anyone else. But I do wonder if she does? I wonder who pays for any debates and travel she will do?

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I guess the love affair with the princess of westchester is over? so much for "principles".

buahahahahahaahahahaaa
She has aligned herself with Bernie Sanders and the Justice Democrats. So I imagine that would upset some. But I dont think it will harm her in her position. A lot of people like authenticity and not towing a straight party line. She likes supporting outside progressives. I read where she and Bernie are supporting very left people running in Vermont who arent democrats. Vermont has a Liberty Union Party.

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Somewhere below 14th and East.

You all loved her. I'm calling it right here right now, in 6 months we'll never hear about her again and bringing her up will cause bemoaning from the left. She's off the pedestal and i find that hilarious.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
You all loved her. I'm calling it right here right now, in 6 months we'll never hear about her again and bringing her up will cause bemoaning from the left. She's off the pedestal and i find that hilarious.
Find a quote from me saying how much I love her. When she first got elected I knew little to nothing about her and since then I haven't had much of anything to say about her.

Reactions: Ian Jeffrey

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
She isn't playing it safe by doing towing the party line. Good for her. We need more politicians who buck the system like this.

Reactions: highway234