APA: 'Traditional Masculinity' Is Harmful to Boys, Men

Jan 2016
Colorado
There is no evidence, none, that discouraging achievement or risk seeking behavior benefits society. In fact, the opposite is so intuitive that it's incredible that anyone would asset otherwise.
And we expect adults to hold in their emotions all the time. That's called being an adult. That's why we discourage people from yelling at service workers or crying because they didn't get their way.
Yes, sir! Such a SHAME, then, that we have a sub-adult President, who goes stomping and storming out of meetings, when he doesn't get his way, isn't it, Macduff?

:cool:

Jan 2016
Colorado
I think someone is confusing masculinity with mysoginy. or do you fancy them the same.

Funny as well as you descibe that poster you've been defending to a T/
What a slimy, low-life of a human being you are, 'Reverend'. I see you plan to CONTINUE sneaking around behind my back, defaming, slandering, libeling, and smearing me. Because I have had you on IGNORE, you presumably thought you could 'get away with it', and maybe you've been doing it for months, for all I know.

I flirt with women, yes. I've probably been a flirt since I was 8 or 9. But never once in my life have I assaulted a woman, unlike the man you are here every day, defending. I understand the notion of CONSENT, which seems to gravely confuse just about every Republican these days, even though it's not that hard of a concept. I myself have been accused of being from the Age of Chivalry. I routinely hold doors open for women, though some don't like it. More importantly, I have shepherded and steered HUNDREDS of women into STEM careers during my years as an educator, which has been my contribution to America. [Buzz Aldrin gave me a medal for it.]

You're a vile person, and I wish the moderators here would perma-ban you. They should not tolerate this kind of sleazy stalking behavior on the part of any poster.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Some third world cultures accept or excuse rape or even use it as a weapon of war.

In Western culture it is viewed as a heonous act and we know that false accusations are as bad and as common as the real thing.
"We know that false accusations are as.....common as the real thing."

We do?!?!???

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Deep State
What a slimy, low-life of a human being you are, 'Reverend'. I see you plan to CONTINUE sneaking around behind my back, defaming, slandering, libeling, and smearing me. Because I have had you on IGNORE, you presumably thought you could 'get away with it', and maybe you've been doing it for months, for all I know.

I flirt with women, yes. I've probably been a flirt since I was 8 or 9. But never once in my life have I assaulted a woman, unlike the man you are here every day, defending. I understand the notion of CONSENT, which seems to gravely confuse just about every Republican these days, even though it's not that hard of a concept. I myself have been accused of being from the Age of Chivalry. I routinely hold doors open for women, though some don't like it. More importantly, I have shepherded and steered HUNDREDS of women into STEM careers during my years as an educator, which has been my contribution to America. [Buzz Aldrin gave me a medal for it.]

You're a vile person, and I wish the moderators here would perma-ban you. They should not tolerate this kind of sleazy stalking behavior on the part of any poster.
#SWIM

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
But it doesnt go away completely. Its mitigated but still exists. The guy who is strongest and can be a good father is often selected. So for boys growing up they strive for that. Girls can play with their minds too. When I was younger the smart geek guy was often overlooked for the bad boy. So the message was sent, be the jerky bad boy and the girls will love you. Because they often did.
I agree. I married a bad boy. I'm saying that that is not good. Not that I regret marrying him. But I'm saying it's not good for females. Just take my word for it. On the other hand, it has made me stronger, but I don't wish it on girls. They shouldn't have to put up with the BS. Hubby is almost 20 years older and I made the choice. And he's not a bad person. But I've had to deal with some seriously sexist BS. At this point, he is almost completely dependent on my magnanimity. And I give it without reservation. I'm not sure he would do the same in my position. I think that's the difference between men and women in too many cases.

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
I agree. I married a bad boy. I'm saying that that is not good. Not that I regret marrying him. But I'm saying it's not good for females. Just take my word for it. On the other hand, it has made me stronger, but I don't wish it on girls. They shouldn't have to put up with the BS. Hubby is almost 20 years older and I made the choice. And he's not a bad person. But I've had to deal with some seriously sexist BS. At this point, he is almost completely dependent on my magnanimity. And I give it without reservation. I'm not sure he would do the same in my position. I think that's the difference between men and women in too many cases.
I think a lot of us fall for the bad boy because many of them are easy on the eye. :) I almost married a "bad boy" who was a gorgeous macho Italian guy. He literally took my breath away every time I looked at him. He was a bookie. LOL He was very good to me tho. The only thing, he expected me to stop my career and have a dozen kids after we married. I dumped him eventually, 5 months before our wedding. I was the runaway bride. :) He was a alcoholic. I have seen exactly what you are talking about. Women for the most part are nurturers and care givers. It is in our nature. Not so much for men tho. I had a cousin who recently passed away with cancer. Her husband has COPD and he was a raging dickhead to her in public. She put up with his shit while caring for him as if he were a baby. When she got sick...he dumped her on her elderly Dad to take care of.