APA: 'Traditional Masculinity' Is Harmful to Boys, Men

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
Trades that are currently “good livings” will not be.

I wouldn’t even really recommend they be a cop or a soldier. In 20 years a policeman will make 30k a year to go around in a van and pick up the criminals that the drones have already identified, chased and secured.

The guys running the drones will make 100k a year.

Police officers around here make 6 figures.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
I was mocking you. I wish I could have told you that, but if I had, it would have made you look foolish, and with what I learned today, I am glad I didn't make you look foolish.

Not in to blow, but I might have been back in the day.

It would have been epic.

By the way, you can say whatever you want about me, call me racist and whatnot, and you do, but to say I complained to moderators about it isn't going to impress the moderators who already know better.

Frankly, I was a bit puzzled when my mock-plaintive plea seemed to stop your canard in its tracks, so I very well might do so again, but that is wholly contingent upon you calling me racist in the future.

Once again, you win.

Nah wouldn’t have been epic at all. And are you really going to pretend you didn’t throw a tantrum over pointing out you have racists in your family and you bragged about being a former racist?

Come on that’s funny shit right there,

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
What a slimy, low-life of a human being you are, 'Reverend'. I see you plan to CONTINUE sneaking around behind my back, defaming, slandering, libeling, and smearing me. Because I have had you on IGNORE, you presumably thought you could 'get away with it', and maybe you've been doing it for months, for all I know.

I flirt with women, yes. I've probably been a flirt since I was 8 or 9. But never once in my life have I assaulted a woman, unlike the man you are here every day, defending. I understand the notion of CONSENT, which seems to gravely confuse just about every Republican these days, even though it's not that hard of a concept. I myself have been accused of being from the Age of Chivalry. I routinely hold doors open for women, though some don't like it. More importantly, I have shepherded and steered HUNDREDS of women into STEM careers during my years as an educator, which has been my contribution to America. [Buzz Aldrin gave me a medal for it.]

You're a vile person, and I wish the moderators here would perma-ban you. They should not tolerate this kind of sleazy stalking behavior on the part of any poster.

tl;dr

You make disgusting posts

And you ignored me, it’s not behind your back to point out some of your disgusting points because you chose to close your eyes after getting upset over the fights you picked.

Off you go. Your tears make me smile

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
A few.

Salary
Starting salary: $42,500
Salary after 5 ½ years: $85,292.
Including holiday pay, longevity pay, uniform allowance, night differential and overtime, police officers may potentially earn over $100,000 per year.

Police Officer Salary & Benefits - NYPD

Lol, so you think that if they don’t start at 6 figures then it doesn’t count. I guess you had your life handed to you.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I agree. I married a bad boy. I'm saying that that is not good. Not that I regret marrying him. But I'm saying it's not good for females. Just take my word for it. On the other hand, it has made me stronger, but I don't wish it on girls. They shouldn't have to put up with the BS. Hubby is almost 20 years older and I made the choice. And he's not a bad person. But I've had to deal with some seriously sexist BS. At this point, he is almost completely dependent on my magnanimity. And I give it without reservation. I'm not sure he would do the same in my position. I think that's the difference between men and women in too many cases.
But in some ways I think thats also part of the nature vs nurture thing. My dad was a wonderful man but when my mom got ill he didnt take care of her. Not because he didnt love her but because he didnt know how. He feared doing something wrong. Maybe more of a pride thing. Women seem to almost always end up being the caregivers. There are some men that do that too. But by and large its women that are compassionate and empathetic. I see a lot of women who lose their spouses end up doing pretty well but men who lose their wives first, not so much. They tend to need someone to watch over them and care for them.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
But in some ways I think thats also part of the nature vs nurture thing. My dad was a wonderful man but when my mom got ill he didnt take care of her. Not because he didnt love her but because he didnt know how. He feared doing something wrong. Maybe more of a pride thing. Women seem to almost always end up being the caregivers. There are some men that do that too. But by and large its women that are compassionate and empathetic. I see a lot of women who lose their spouses end up doing pretty well but men who lose their wives first, not so much. They tend to need someone to watch over them and care for them.
If you knew me the first words you'd use to describe me wouldn't be empathetic or compassionate, lol. For me, it's more out of obligation. Not that I don't love him, I do. But I'm a person of my word. In my mind, my wedding vows said I would take care of him if he needed someone to be his caregiver. But, men do tend to be less empathetic than women, I do agree with that. But I'm not sure if that's caused by nature or nurture.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
If you knew me the first words you'd use to describe me wouldn't be empathetic or compassionate, lol. For me, it's more out of obligation. Not that I don't love him, I do. But I'm a person of my word. In my mind, my wedding vows said I would take care of him if he needed someone to be his caregiver. But, men do tend to be less empathetic than women, I do agree with that. But I'm not sure if that's caused by nature or nurture.

My only point to this is you can't put what sounds like a, or a formally abusive relationship on all of "masculinity".

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
My only point to this is you can't put what sounds like a, or a formally abusive relationship on all of "masculinity".
I don't. I think society's idea of what masculinity is has been warped in some ways and that has harmful effects in some instances.