Apple Pledges $2.5 Billion To Combat California's Housing Crisis

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
In the Boston area, some big companies tried something similar but failed due to the NIMBY aspect. But they kept trying because the companies got tax breaks for it even if it failed. It made them look good for at least trying even though some knew they would fail.
After people who have a high enough income buy one of those million dollar houses, it's difficult to convince them that they should let low income people into the area. They feel a need to protect their investment, after all. Still, there must be somewhere that could be developed. Didn't the OP mention land owned by Apple?

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
After people who have a high enough income buy one of those million dollar houses, it's difficult to convince them that they should let low income people into the area. They feel a need to protect their investment, after all. Still, there must be somewhere that could be developed. Didn't the OP mention land owned by Apple?
Problem is those areas are far away. Teachers, janitors, service industry workers then commute hours. You then have them voting against gas taxes, better public transportation etc because they cant afford it or take advantage of it. Here the lower income areas are out so far away from the transportation hubs they drive at least an hour each way. Our biggest issues are going to be the ones in their 20s now. They cant afford to live near work unless they have 5 roommates. But how long will they choose to live like that? Eventually they will want to marry or move out on their own and they are looking at moving out an hour away. All their ideals of green energy, public transportation etc go by the wayside because they then need to get to work economically.

Reactions: labrea
Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
Problem is those areas are far away. Teachers, janitors, service industry workers then commute hours. You then have them voting against gas taxes, better public transportation etc because they cant afford it or take advantage of it. Here the lower income areas are out so far away from the transportation hubs they drive at least an hour each way. Our biggest issues are going to be the ones in their 20s now. They cant afford to live near work unless they have 5 roommates. But how long will they choose to live like that? Eventually they will want to marry or move out on their own and they are looking at moving out an hour away. All their ideals of green energy, public transportation etc go by the wayside because they then need to get to work economically.
That pretty much describes the current situation.

I live in the Central Valley, where houses are still relatively cheap. My brother in law lives in the East Bay, where they are not. When we go to visit, we cross about 50 miles of farmland, pass one small impoverished town, and arrive at the I5. Going north on the interstate, we pass the usual gas station, fast food places, and motels that spring up next to transportation corridors, but not much else. Turning east on the 480, we pass foothills, brown with dry grass all summer. This is all either farmland, or hilly grassland used for cattle grazing in the winter. The million dollar houses start at Livermore, which is served by BART and provides an easy way into San Francisco and San Jose. Extend BART a bit, and you create more space for houses that only a few can afford. There is room for more housing, but many reasons for not building, or at least not building affordable ones.

There has to be a better way. I'm not sure if Apple will be successful in its cheaper housing project, but something has to be done.

Reactions: labrea
Nov 2015
UK
It's only money that America should have got in tax off Apple and some will see Apple as a hero for their generosity!!

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Try to buy a house near Apple with average income levels. Have things changed since before they were there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So you're blaming them for their success? It's not their fault then. If that's your theory, then it's the fault of people who buy their products. That's where all the money comes from.

And... Since every one of your posts is signed off as:

"Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk"

...maybe it's your fault?