Arctic Warming Will Likely Trigger Mid-Latitude Mega-Droughts

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
To make that claim you have to know the Global temperature in the 1880s to an accuracy of a fraction of a degree to have high confidence. With the means and methods available at the time it would be more accurate to say that it is about a degree higher, plus or minus a degree or two.
It gets worse than that, but yes... That is an accurate process when converting from less precise methods to more precise methods.

Mar 2019
DE, US
Funny how the Russian connection and WikiLeaks doesn't connect brain cells. I won't want to live in that hell hole too, but I'd move before hurting the whole fucking world.

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
Nonsense, look at went on the US during the 20th century, horse and buggy to supersonic passenger travel, look at the advance in agriculture. We will have no problem dealing with a 2+ degree rise in temperature over the next century.
Even as we went from horse and buggy to supersonic passenger travel, we suffered multiple famines that each left hundreds of thousands or even millions of people dead. We also suffered multiple floods and storms with death tolls in the hundreds of thousands. And we suffered multiple resource-related wars that added to that tally. That's the kind of thing we're talking about with climate change. I'm not arguing that humankind won't figure out how to deal with it, long term. I think we will. I'm arguing we are setting ourselves up for massive amounts of needless suffering along the way, including death tolls that will make the BS we tend to worry about these days look barely even worth mentioning. It's particularly ironic that the conservatives, who are quickest to throw hundreds of billions of dollars at small hypothetical threats (everything from the insane invasion of Iraq to Trump's braindead border wall), want everyone to be blissfully confident that we'll take climate change in stride with no serious efforts.

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
Even as we went from horse and buggy to supersonic passenger travel, we suffered multiple famines that each left hundreds of thousands or even millions of people dead. We also suffered multiple floods and storms with death tolls in the hundreds of thousands. And we suffered multiple resource-related wars that added to that tally. That's the kind of thing we're talking about with climate change. I'm not arguing that humankind won't figure out how to deal with it, long term. I think we will. I'm arguing we are setting ourselves up for massive amounts of needless suffering along the way, including death tolls that will make the BS we tend to worry about these days look barely even worth mentioning. It's particularly ironic that the conservatives, who are quickest to throw hundreds of billions of dollars at small hypothetical threats (everything from the insane invasion of Iraq to Trump's braindead border wall), want everyone to be blissfully confident that we'll take climate change in stride with no serious efforts.
Tribalism carried to the point of insanity.

Apr 2015
Katmandu
More nonsense, we didn't suffer multiple famines in the USA that left millions dead in the 20th century. What resource related wars did the US fight in the 20th century? We lost hundreds of thousands to floods and storms in the US, what flood or storms was that?

More chicken little drama, we will be just fine in the next century.

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
More nonsense, we didn't suffer multiple famines in the USA that left millions dead in the 20th century. What resource related wars did the US fight in the 20th century? We lost hundreds of thousands to floods and storms in the US, what flood or storms was that?

More chicken little drama, we will be just fine in the next century.
If you look at the globe, you will see that there is a whole lot of area outside US borders generally referred to as the "rest of the world." About 95% of the human race lives there. Check it out sometime.

Apr 2015
Katmandu
If you look at the globe, you will see that there is a whole lot of area outside US borders generally referred to as the "rest of the world." About 95% of the human race lives there. Check it out sometime.
They can follow our lead, but we aren't the boss of the rest of the world, it will be their decisions to make and actions to take.