Are LED lights and smartphones making us sick?

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Over the last decade, much of Europe and the US have changed the way they illuminate city and town streets.

Earlier this year, the World Journal of Biological Psychiatry published a paper by a group of prominent psychiatrists that warned of the potential effects of LED lighting on mental illness. It raised concerns about the influence of blue light on sleep, other circadian-mediated symptoms, use of digital healthcare apps and devices, and the higher sensitivity of teenagers to blue light.

“Because they are ubiquitous, smartphones represent the larger public health hazard,” said Gottlieb. “Streetlights, though, are not benign and together with the entire set of nocturnal lighting for entertainment, traffic, reading, etc contribute to the phenomena of light pollution, which we are becoming increasingly sensitised to.” Studies of the impact of blue light on healthy adults show it inhibits melatonin secretion which disrupts sleep and can affect quality of life, physical and mental health and susceptibility to illness. Previous studies of sleep disorders in children and adolescents show a clear and consistent relationship between sleep disorders and frequency of digital device usage.

Currently, the National Sleep Foundation guidelines suggest not using technology 30 minutes before bed and removing technology for the bedroom. However, there are currently no specific guidelines for people with an underlying mental illness or sensitivity to circadian disruption.

As LED technology has rapidly spread across the globe, the focus has been on the visual element and the energy-saving element. Now, scientists, health professionals and the LED industry are working to minimise the blue light in LEDs and create customisable lights that won’t harm those suffering from psychiatric disorders.

https://www.bbcearth.com/blog/?article=are-led-lights-making-us-ill

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
I don't know about any psychological effects but I cannot sleep in a room where there is even the tiniest blue light visible. Red light, like for the clock in our room is fine, but I have to cover anything with a blue light.

Anywho, we've switched over to all LEDs and as far as I know we're all okay. We don't use our phones or tablets just before bed, generally. But I can see where younger people do, though.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I don't know about any psychological effects but I cannot sleep in a room where there is even the tiniest blue light visible. Red light, like for the clock in our room is fine, but I have to cover anything with a blue light.

Anywho, we've switched over to all LEDs and as far as I know we're all okay. We don't use our phones or tablets just before bed, generally. But I can see where younger people do, though.
I think they had removed those blue light alarm clocks years ago because they do bother a lot of people. Red lights dont seem to bother anyone. Also remember something about the blue lights causing more seizures in epileptics.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Hell, I can sleep in broad daylight. I have a light box set to a timer to help me wake up ... half the time it makes no difference at all, and oftentimes I just fall back asleep with it on.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
Hell, I can sleep in broad daylight. I have a light box set to a timer to help me wake up ... half the time it makes no difference at all, and oftentimes I just fall back asleep with it on.
I wonder how it could be that we're so very different as far as this goes. Why would I be so sensitive to blue light? Well, I don't like any light at all, but I can tolerate red light. My husband thinks I'm nuts as I go around the room covering all the blue lights, lol. He can even fall asleep with the tv on but I would never be able to do that.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I wonder how it could be that we're so very different as far as this goes. Why would I be so sensitive to blue light? Well, I don't like any light at all, but I can tolerate red light. My husband thinks I'm nuts as I go around the room covering all the blue lights, lol. He can even fall asleep with the tv on but I would never be able to do that.
I am the same way. I suppose part of it is how we were raised. I see some that always had night lights on when they were kids still like them as adults. One of our friends had one of those wave machines for her kids all their youth and now as adults they cant sleep without wave noises! But I dont know why scientifically it makes a difference. I even have shades and thick curtains on my windows I cant stand light.