Are LED lights and smartphones making us sick?

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I am the same way. I suppose part of it is how we were raised. I see some that always had night lights on when they were kids still like them as adults. One of our friends had one of those wave machines for her kids all their youth and now as adults they cant sleep without wave noises! But I dont know why scientifically it makes a difference. I even have shades and thick curtains on my windows I cant stand light.
I do like being able to see when I get up...

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
I am the same way. I suppose part of it is how we were raised. I see some that always had night lights on when they were kids still like them as adults. One of our friends had one of those wave machines for her kids all their youth and now as adults they cant sleep without wave noises! But I dont know why scientifically it makes a difference. I even have shades and thick curtains on my windows I cant stand light.
Yeah, I can't stand any noise, either. I know people who have to have a fan on while they sleep, even in the winter, just for the noise. Weird.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Yeah, I can't stand any noise, either. I know people who have to have a fan on while they sleep, even in the winter, just for the noise. Weird.
I guess if you live in a downtown where there are variants like traffic and sirens, it might dull that and keep a consistent noise. But anywhere else I dont get it.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
I prefer absolute darkness, my eyes get used to it and I can get around fine. Any light and it takes me a bit to get accustomed. Of course I also know where everything is so my path is known as well.
If I get up in the night to pee I don't even turn the bathroom light on because it wakes me up too much and I know where everything is, if you know what I mean, so why would I need light, lol?

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
If I get up in the night to pee I don't even turn the bathroom light on because it wakes me up too much and I know where everything is, if you know what I mean, so why would I need light, lol?
Same, I keep it dark and then I can get right back to sleep, half the time I dont even remember if I get up!

Jul 2014
Border Fence
The 'blue light' is connected to the data on the phone. Blue light itself is annoying, but no one is staring at blue light alone.

My laptop external speaker has one of the little annoying blue lights that gets on my last nerve when im trying to sleep. I fixed him.

Being connected to the data and phone adding to the lack of sleep.

Mar 2010
Indiana
Have any of you ever tried the shades you can clip on that flip over your glasses to eliminate blue light from your computer and any other devices? I bought a pair really cheap on Amazon and have misplaced them. If I don't find them I will get another pair soon as I'm not getting a good night sleep these days.

These were referred to me by a friend that works for an optician btw.

Last edited:

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I'm one of those. In fact, I really can't stand silence. Tinnitus is bad enough that I need the passive distraction. Plus, the hum is relaxing.

Apr 2012
East coast USA
Beleive it or not, sleep has has a lot to do with feeling safe.
Freeing ones mind from worries is the trick.
I think those that develop habits to sleep by is just that, a safety, comfort, thing.