Are LED lights and smartphones making us sick?

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
Something to do with the blue emission from the lights.

https://www.allaboutvision.com/cvs/blue-light.htm
I noticed Zenni optical is offering blue light protection in all its glasses. My eyes are sensitive to light, and I wonder if I should get some.

I hate LED lights. Not sure I have a choice with my light fixtures, but I can never get the right amount to where I am not shading my face with my hand. Right now with natural light is the best time of the day for computer work and play.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I noticed Zenni optical is offering blue light protection in all its glasses. My eyes are sensitive to light, and I wonder if I should get some.

I hate LED lights. Not sure I have a choice with my light fixtures, but I can never get the right amount to where I am not shading my face with my hand. Right now with natural light is the best time of the day for computer work and play.
What I dont like are those super bright headlights on new cars. They are so blue/white and look like high beams are on but they arent. Its really distracting on a two lane road in the dark. Takes my eyes a bit to re-accustom to the darkness.

Jun 2014
United States
What I dont like are those super bright headlights on new cars. They are so blue/white and look like high beams are on but they arent. Its really distracting on a two lane road in the dark. Takes my eyes a bit to re-accustom to the darkness.

I agree. Many of these new headlights are safety hazards.

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
OK so the screen on my phone goes dark when not in use. How is that bad to leave in/next to the bed?

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
Those are horrible and a hazard to other drivers.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
That's part of the reason I don't drive at night.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado
Computer and smart phones will display a bluish light, even when viewing a white page, by default. You can adjust the blue out of your computer screens, but not sure about smart phones. Go to PH (white #FFFFFF background) on your computer in a dark room and the light will be bluish.

Samsung phones to me are the worst:

1. they have heavy blue in their screens
2. they use a blue indicator light (that lights up the whole room) if someone calls, leaves a message, etc.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado
OK so the screen on my phone goes dark when not in use. How is that bad to leave in/next to the bed?
If it buzzed, rang or otherwise made a noise, would you look at it? To me, that's enough to remove it, its a distraction.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado
I had a lot of sleep trouble but my doctor suggested removing all phones, no media 30+ minutes before bed and off-the-shelf melatonin.

I sleep very well now, probably largely due to the melatonin. I take it and within 30 minutes I'm out. So I take it and go out in my backyard till it kicks in, watch the stars.