Are LED lights and smartphones making us sick?

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
If it buzzed, rang or otherwise made a noise, would you look at it? To me, that's enough to remove it, its a distraction.
I turn the ringer off when I sleep which turns off all sounds. I am somewhat aware of the vibration when one of those things occur, but only someone calling twice in a row will fully wake me. My brain is programmed, I think, to know that means something is important and I have to pick up.

Which is partly why we take our phones to bed, isn't it? When I had a landline, there was an extension in the bedroom for the same reason.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
I would only answer my phone if it rang in the night. I have a ringer that sounds like a phone ringing in order to distinguish between a phone call and anything else. If it's an emergency you better call me. Don't just text me.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
I turn the ringer off when I sleep which turns off all sounds. I am somewhat aware of the vibration when one of those things occur, but only someone calling twice in a row will fully wake me. My brain is programmed, I think, to know that means something is important and I have to pick up.

Which is partly why we take our phones to bed, isn't it? When I had a landline, there was an extension in the bedroom for the same reason.
That sounds distracting. You are literally putting the phone next to you and actively ignoring it. Why bring it to bed at all?

I know some people use the alarm clock on their phones and is probably the most common reason to bring it to bed.

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
That sounds distracting. You are literally putting the phone next to you and actively ignoring it. Why bring it to bed at all?

I know some people use the alarm clock on their phones and is probably the most common reason to bring it to bed.
For emergency calls. Having only a cell now, they can't be separated anymore from texts and fb messages.On my phone, those are micro vibrations. The ringer portion is stronger. More than 4 vibrations means someone is calling for the second time in a row indicating it's important. Actually better than when I left the landline ringer on for emergency calls.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Samsung phones to me are the worst:

2. they use a blue indicator light (that lights up the whole room) if someone calls, leaves a message, etc.
Actually, they don't all have that. My Galaxy3 had it - and it blinked, too, which was really annoying (though it never woke me). My Eclipse, however, does not have that indicator light, and I'm happy about that.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I had a lot of sleep trouble but my doctor suggested removing all phones, no media 30+ minutes before bed and off-the-shelf melatonin.
I had the same suggestion. Haven't been able to do it, but my sleep trouble isn't in falling asleep anymore.

I sleep very well now, probably largely due to the melatonin. I take it and within 30 minutes I'm out.
I've taken melatonin, first in 5mg, then 3mg, then 1mg, then I stopped due to undesired effects. I was recommended to try 0.3mg (or 300mcg, if you prefer), and it was still too much. Fortunately, I take other stuff that has the side effect of making me sleep, if I take it early enough.